🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Why nothing?
Page options
lucas-marshall
Community Member

Why nothing?

2 week newbie, 25 proposals. No contacts and only 2 profile views! Wtf! This sucks.......
21 REPLIES 21
lysis10
Community Member

Sounds like me when I started. Welcome to Upwork.

Lol!

Here is one reason why:

Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 12.14.23 PM.png

You're obviously not serious about being here.

I posted my luxurious resume, What’s up with the algorithm and why can’t I view my resume.pdf?

Marshall L wrote:
I posted my luxurious resume, What’s up with the algorithm and why can’t I view my resume.pdf?

Well now you have got what you wanted - a little high-level attention on Upwork's forum - **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Wow!

re: "I posted my luxurious resume, What’s up with the algorithm and why can’t I view my resume.pdf?"

If you can't view it, you can be certain that potential clients can't view it either.

Nobody who is successul on Upwork as a freelancer "posts their resume" and calls it a day.

Clients who use Upwork may view freelancers' "profiles" or "profile pages."

If you don't have a real profile page, and you are competing with other freelancers who DO have a profile page, then you are obviously at a disadvantage when it comes to being picked to be hired for jobs.

I can appreciate that. As I said I uploaded my resume. Read that a copy what sent with proposal. But it’s the profile page that clients see and not actual resume and profile page does not post uploaded resume which makes me wonder why I was asked to upload in first place. But hey it’s been fun having gurus gang up me.

Marshall L wrote:
I can appreciate that. As I said I uploaded my resume. Read that a copy what sent with proposal. But it’s the profile page that clients see and not actual resume and profile page does not post uploaded resume which makes me wonder why I was asked to upload in first place. But hey it’s been fun having gurus gang up me.

Not ganging up on you, just twitching our BS antennae - and your profile does nothing to prove we are wrong - particularly your "webmaster" claim. 

Nice last dig. You’re a credit!
Anonymous-User
Not applicable

I used more colorful language.
Then I found out there was a market for that and that's when the big bucks started rolling in!

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Marshall L wrote:
2 week newbie, 25 proposals. No contacts and only 2 profile views! Wtf! This sucks.......

Please don't waste any more connects, they don't grow on trees, young man! Have you seen your profile? You are kidding, right?

What does a terrible profile have to do with initial views. Just testing this place out. Obviously I’ve had more viewers posting in this forum than proposal responses.

Marshall L wrote:
What does a terrible profile have to do with initial views.
When you submit a bid, the client sees a partial preview of your profile. It's also likely that those commenting on your profile are assuming that your proposals are no better crafted. 

Good one...

re: "2 week newbie, 25 proposals. No contacts and only 2 profile views!... What does a terrible profile have to do with initial views. Just testing this place out..."

Marshall:

What does "initial views" mean?

That doesn't mean anything.

You mentioned "only 2 profile views."

I can assure you that you do not know what this means.

I have been on Upwork for years and I constantly study how it works, and I don't know what that means.

If you are testing this place out by sending "25 proposals," then you should understand that every time you sent a proposal, IF a client clicked on your name or picture... then they saw your profile and realized you weren't a real Upwork freelancer. So they hired somebody else.

I had read that a copy of resume was sent with proposal. That’s a big difference!!!

One thing I just figured out. Is that views are not posted real time here. Seems it takes some time to gather the report

It is not a "hit counter" or "page view counter."

I think you're looking at something that most of us ignore.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

That should tell you something.

This is a professional job site. There's nothing on your profile that suggests you're taking yourself seriously, so no one else will, either.

Search freelancers in your field to get an idea of what clients are looking at to choose to hire.

Marshall L wrote:
What does a terrible profile have to do with initial views. Just testing this place out. Obviously I’ve had more viewers posting in this forum than proposal responses.

If you are just testing and not serious, you shouldn't complain about not getting jobs. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths