🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Will I be penalized for ending a contract ear...
Page options
chris_hecker
Community Member

Will I be penalized for ending a contract early?

I am fairly new to Upwork (have had an account since 2015 but only been active the last couple of weeks). So far I've been awarded with four projects, in the transcription category, two of which I have completed.

I'm just finishing up on my third project, which I'll have back to the client later this evening.

I was awarded a fourth contract a couple of hours ago. With my other committments this week I don't think I'll be able to complete the project by their deadline.

Will I be penalized for ending my fourth contract early (I was awarded it a couple of hours ago)? If so, how?

Thank you so much.

3 REPLIES 3
robin_hyman
Community Member

Will I be penalized for ending my fourth contract early (I was awarded it a couple of hours ago)? If so, how?

Chris,

Yes your JSS will go down if you close a contract without earning $.  By how much I have no idea.  No one knows for sure because Upwork doesn't reveal its algorithm.  Perhaps the client will be lenient with its due date?  If not is there something else you can shuffle around, work late/early, etc.  

I strongly suggest you do the work.  So many people here would love to be in your situation - too much work.  LOL.  

m_sharman
Community Member

Chris H wrote:

I was awarded a fourth contract a couple of hours ago. With my other committments this week I don't think I'll be able to complete the project by their deadline.

Thank you so much.

If you have already accepted an offer for the fourth contract, but haven't completed any work, it will hurt your JSS (Job Success Score) - which you may not have yet.

I suggest you check with the client to see if you can extend the deadline or perhaps do partial work on it? I haven't checked your profile to see what type of work you perform, but the goal is to avoid a contract where no money exchanges hands.

It's unfortunate in that sometimes either the client or freelancer (or both) realize it's not a fit and it's best to part ways. Advice on this forum has to been to charge a small amount, like 5 or 10 dollars, and that way the contract will still have money earned. 

petra_r
Community Member

Chris H wrote:

Did you actually ACCEPT  the 4rth contract you were offered a couple of hours ago?

• If yes, that was unwise if you know you don't have time to do it.
  • If no, there is nothing to end, just decline the offer
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths