🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Will I get paid?
Page options
mariamhassanj
Community Member

Will I get paid?

Hi guys, I just completed my first project today. I ended the contract once the whole project was done in accordance to the client agreement. 

I did not know we had to log our hours through the tracker. So I logged some 10 hours and 40 mins manually on intervals since it said that the client accepts manual hours in the contract. 

After the project ended, the client reached out to me with questions about the previous work and I helped them thoroughly. I even made them loom videos to walk them through it all. 

Now I am worried will I get paid or not? All this time when I was working I was constantly in communication with the client - to a point where they said 'do this' and I said okay done and then they approved. 

The entire Upwork chat is a testament to it. Also, when the client first asked me the timeline I said 3 hours - but that was before they were unable to give me the correct prerequisites for the job as well as kept on changing requirements over and over again. 

It was an hourly billed. So now I am not sure if I will be paid. If the credit card declines will I be paid or if the client puts a dispute when in the chat it tells a clear story? 

Does Upwork charge the card and if the client is payment verified what are the chances? 

I am so sad. I worked so hard for the 277USD gig. 

Please help me out! 

12 REPLIES 12
LuiggiR

Hi Mariam,

Thanks for reaching out. In the future, for hourly contracts, you should always track your time using the Desktop App; this is an essential requirement to qualify for Hourly Payment Protection. If their payment method fails, the time you entered will be reviewed against the Payment Protection criteria, and the team will contact you directly to let you know the outcome.

Your client will be billed for the hours you manually entered following the weekly billing cycle. This means the hours you've entered for this week will be billed to them on Monday next week. They will have until Friday that same week to review your hours, and if everything goes well, your payment becomes available the following Wednesday. You can learn more by visiting this page

~ Luiggi
Upwork

So, I am in this situation now: When I signed the contract I distinctly remember seeing 'Payment Verified' badge on the client. Now, all of a sudden after Monday it has disappeared. Another thing to notice is that now it shows '2 hired' '$480' spent. Before this, it was $0.00 spent and two hired. Does it mean he was charged on Monday and then he removed his card? Or does it mean he just removed his card so now I won't get paid?
It is almost Friday now. No disputes from client.

Hi Mariam,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I see that you've recently raised a support ticket regarding your concern. As soon as the next available agent gets your ticket in their queue, they'll contact you to assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

I got the most generic answer from the Support team. I need more clarity over my situation 

Hi Mariam,

I understand your concern. Please be informed that we may not be able to share detailed information about your client's account for the confidentiality and security of their account.

I see that one of our team members has already responded to your concern a few minutes ago and you are actively communicating with them via the support ticket. I can see that you've raised a support ticket regarding your concern and one of our team members is already assisting you. Please don't hesitate to follow up with them on the same support ticket if you have additional questions regarding your concern. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

- Pradeep

Upwork
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

The client will be automatically billed for the time, but if you quoted them 3 hours and then billed them for nearly 11 hours, they might not be very happy. Did you discuss the additional work and revise your time estimate as you were going along? 

Most clients will pay even if you didn't use the tracker properly, but if there's any dispute, you will lose. It doesn't matter what proof you had or what was said in the chat; there's no payment protection if you don't use the tracker properly. Chances are that you'll be fine this time, but make sure that you read about how payment protection works and follow all the rules in the future.

I initially quoted them 3 hours. Then when the the issues with data came up. I told them it would take an additional few hours. They said it is okay with them. 
Then I did give them what they mentioned in 6 hours. After which, they changed all the requirements again. 
In my opinion, a very confused client as a whole. They wouldn't even give the requirements all at once. It would be like after I completed task A, they would ask to make changes. Then come up with a set of new requirements for task B. 

spectralua
Community Member

You wont be paid if client wont agree to pay.

But if client happy with your work\time and will pay then dont worry. You will receive money within billing cycle.

So, I am in this situation now: When I signed the contract I distinctly remember seeing 'Payment Verified' badge on the client. Now, all of a sudden after Monday it has disappeared. Another thing to notice is that now it shows '2 hired' '$480' spent. Does it mean he was charged on Monday and then he removed his card? Or does it mean he just removed his card so now I won't get paid?
It is almost Friday now. No disputes from client. 

nadiaillustr94
Community Member

I have a situation where, the client didn't even start the contract. They requested the work made me work alot since January and still yet to receive a reply from them with the contract signed etc.

How did the client force you to work without a contract? If you weren't hired, then wouldn't it have been smarter for you to not do any work? 

But why would you work without signing an agreement? I think that is against upwork's TOS. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths