🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Will i get paid If my clients server is d...
Page options
wpdevs_100
Community Member

Will i get paid If my clients server is down and I am unable to work on his fixed price project

Hi,

I am listing products for a client on his wordpress site which is very slow and always giving database connectivity errors. So far I have been able to work and accomplish tasks for 16 days and today the server is not responding at all so i am unable to list products. My question is that If the problem persists from the client side and I am not able to meet the task requirements because of their negligence do i still get paid? I can't even get a new job because when other clients see an ongoing project on my profile they must think that I may not have enough time to focus on their project so it kinds of leave my profile occupied. In my opinion i should be paid although it's not a fault from my end. Also if i do qualify to be paid by my perception what could be a way to prove that the client's server was down or i was having difficulty conducting my work? Thank you.

Regards,
Sanwal Manzoor.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sanwal: Your post didn't offend me, and probably offended nobody. I'm just explaining how things work.

I would like to see you get paid.

If you have done 50% of the work, I would like to see you get paid 50% of the money.

I suggest that you ask the client to pay you a fair amount.

If the client doesn't respond, then I suggest you use the "Submit Work / Request Payment" to request a fair payment.

If the client does NOTHING, then you will get paid automatically.

The client is an intelligent person. He knows full well that you can't do your work due to his server's problems. He might be embarrassed about his server. But even if he gets mad at you (and I am NOT saying he will!), he knows this is actually his server's fault. He knows it isn't your fault.

(And when I say "his server's fault," I mean it is his fault. The buck stops here.)

By the way:

If you had set this up as an HOURLY contract, you would have ALREADY BEEN PAID.

If you had set this up using smaller milestones, such as daily or weekly, then you would have ALREADY BEEN PAID.

In the future, don't agree to work on fixed-price milestones that take many weeks or a whole month before you get paid.

For example:

Instead of getting paid $200 after 20 days... Get paid $10 EACH DAY for twenty days.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

If you have been hired to do a fixed-price task, but you haven't done that task, then you:

a) should not get paid for that task

b) should not desire to get paid for that task

re: "My question is that If the problem persists from the client side and I am not able to meet the task requirements because of their negligence do i still get paid?"

No. You will not get paid.

re: "I can't even get a new job because when other clients see an ongoing project on my profile they must think that I may not have enough time to focus on their project so it kinds of leave my profile occupied."

This is not true.

Most clients don't care.

If you think this is a problem, then you can just close the contract.

Then your profile will NOT appear to have an open contract on it.

re: "In my opinion i should be paid although it's not a fault from my end."

You are welcome to hold that opinion. I suggest you do so quietly.

re: "Also if i do qualify to be paid by my perception what could be a way to prove that the client's server was down or i was having difficulty conducting my work?"

Don't worry about that.

You don't qualify for anything.

I can assure you that there is nobody at Upwork to whom you need to "prove" that the client's server was down. We believe you.

Sanwal:

I do not doubt that you are disappointed by some of the recent events you describe.

I am on your side. I want you to be made whole.

But you may have misunderstandings about how things work here.

If you are interested in working, then it would be okay if you ask this current client if there is anything else you can do for him at this time, or if there is some other place for you to submit your work. But if the client's server is down, then he has bigger problems than worrying about the issues you are facing.

You need to understand that this client's problems are NOT preventing you from looking for work with other clients.

And there is nothing at Upwork that makes it so that you will get paid for fixed-price work that you don't do.

If you actually finished part of the work, then you may tell the client:

"Jeremy:

I'm really sorry you're having trouble with your server. I think we should close my contract so you can focus on getting things up and running. You set up a fixed-price milestone for $100 so I can submit 10 articles. I did only 2 of them before the server started having problems. If you will release $20, then I will refund you the remaining money. Thank you for your consideration."

re: "I am listing products for a client on his wordpress site which is very slow..."

Yes, well... that goes without saying...

I am sorry if my view offends any one I did not mean this by any chance. I am just here to know things that i don't know or which are not clear to me. I don't think that i should be paid for the work that i have not done. But this projects due date is 30 sep and i have already worked on it for 16 days. I mean I have completed my daily tasks for 16 days. So will i be eligible to receive the accumulated payment of these 16 days or I am still ineligible. Thanks

Sanwal: Your post didn't offend me, and probably offended nobody. I'm just explaining how things work.

I would like to see you get paid.

If you have done 50% of the work, I would like to see you get paid 50% of the money.

I suggest that you ask the client to pay you a fair amount.

If the client doesn't respond, then I suggest you use the "Submit Work / Request Payment" to request a fair payment.

If the client does NOTHING, then you will get paid automatically.

The client is an intelligent person. He knows full well that you can't do your work due to his server's problems. He might be embarrassed about his server. But even if he gets mad at you (and I am NOT saying he will!), he knows this is actually his server's fault. He knows it isn't your fault.

(And when I say "his server's fault," I mean it is his fault. The buck stops here.)

By the way:

If you had set this up as an HOURLY contract, you would have ALREADY BEEN PAID.

If you had set this up using smaller milestones, such as daily or weekly, then you would have ALREADY BEEN PAID.

In the future, don't agree to work on fixed-price milestones that take many weeks or a whole month before you get paid.

For example:

Instead of getting paid $200 after 20 days... Get paid $10 EACH DAY for twenty days.

Ahh! Now I get It. Thanks for the explantion and your kind advice. Stay blessed. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths