cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Work before Hiring

Susan V Member Since: Mar 28, 2017
1 of 4

Hi. I hope you can help with my situation. A client wanted his properties listed on airbnb. He is currently communicating with me through email. He wants me to create an gmail account (not his name) and register it in Airbnb and will only hire me on Upwork if the first listing is published and active. Is it alright for him to do that? He asks to be given the login passbook after I've registered with Airbnb. I'm a newcomer and this is my first active candidacy so far and would really appreciate any input. Thanks.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Pavel K Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
2 of 4

Hi Susan.

He asks you to do work before you have an official UW contract in place, hence he asks you to do free work -> that is against Upwork ToS.

All other things in your post sound like he is a scam.

Report him to customer support, prepare screenshots of conversations between you and the "client".

And move on.

Don't ever do ANY work until:

1) client's payment method is verified;

2) you have an Upwork contract in place;

3) (if the contract is fixed-price) you have the milestone funded with the ENTIRE amount you and your client agreed to;

Best Regards.

Susan V Member Since: Mar 28, 2017
3 of 4

Hi Pavel,

Really appreciate your immediate reply.  I just read this client's work history and he now has a negative feedback. He joined Upwork just this month and when I submitted my proposal he did have a verified payment status but no work history yet. The freelancer he hired is disputing him for non-payment. I will be reporting him to customer support. Thank you so much for the assistance and hopefully I will be hired for real soon. 

Best Regards.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 4

Hi Susan,

Can you please take a screenshot of the client's request and share it with me in a private message, along with the link to the client's job post? Asking for free work is a ToS violations and freelancers are strongly advised against working without a contract or providing free test work. 

Please read these safety tips and freelancer resources in order to successfully use our platform.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS