🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Work for peanuts
Page options
abosalah_2
Community Member

Work for peanuts

After I signed my first contract in Upwork, I realized that the project I singed for is huge and the guy offered a fixed price for that, I understand that this is my mistake to accept that in the first place, but I was not really aware of how tricky and time consuming this project was.....any advise?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hglewis
Community Member

Hello Mohamed!

Welcome to Upwork!

Mohamed E wrote:

After I signed my first contract in Upwork, I realized that the project I singed for is huge and the guy offered a fixed price for that, I understand that this is my mistake to accept that in the first place, but I was not really aware of how tricky and time consuming this project was.....any advise?

You have two options:

1. Work through to the end of the project, and let it be a learning experience.

2. Contact the client and advise them you cannot do the job.

When I first started in business, I took on more than I could do or knew what the entire scope of the project would entail.

However, I discovered that by forging ahead and not disappointing my client, I learned a few extra things about a project that helped me with future projects. 

Best of luck to you!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
ijlalzaidi786
Community Member

Hi Muhammad,

You can end that contract if you are not willing to move forward.

Would that affect my profile negatively? 

Mohamed E wrote:

Would that affect my profile negatively? 

If the client leaves negative private feedback, yes. 

hglewis
Community Member

Hello Mohamed!

Welcome to Upwork!

Mohamed E wrote:

You have two options:

1. Work through to the end of the project, and let it be a learning experience.

2. Contact the client and advise them you cannot do the job.

When I first started in business, I took on more than I could do or knew what the entire scope of the project would entail.

However, I discovered that by forging ahead and not disappointing my client, I learned a few extra things about a project that helped me with future projects. 

Best of luck to you!

I wholeheartedly agree with Woodrow's post, pointing out your two options.

I would say there is a third option to consider, although I will admit that it is probably unsavory and not what we typically think of...

You can talk to the client honestly and and explain that now that you understand the project in more detail, you realize you can't offer that price. Ask him if he would like to close the contract and get a full refund, and hire you using an hourly contract. Or ask him if he would still like to have you do the project, but for a different fixed-price amount.

If you do this, I advise you to emphasize that he is not obligated to set up a new contract, and you will understand if he simply closes the contract and gets his escrow money back and works with someone else.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Mohamed E wrote:

Finish it. Your client expected you to be the professional and know what the project entails and how much time you will need. Any other option will get you a bad result. 

This happened to me early on.

I bet that it has happened to MOST of us.

In my case, I finished it.

I ended up making very little money for a lot of work.

But the client was happy in the end and I learned many things.

Preston H wrote:

This happened to me early on.

I bet that it has happened to MOST of us.

In my case, I finished it.

I ended up making very little money for a lot of work.

But the client was happy in the end and I learned many things.

I agree. My first project I did not estimate hour properly so my rate was lower than I intended. I overdelivered though and impressed the client, and got a good review. And I learned about making better estimates. 

moshiour96
Community Member

My suggestion is to end the contract

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths