🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Working for a Foreign Company w/o VAT
Page options
aaron_vancoillie
Community Member

Working for a Foreign Company w/o VAT

Hi,

I'm a freelancer registered in Portugal without a VAT number and I want to work for a foreign company based in the Netherlands. 
Is this possible and does this company have to create an account on Upwork? And is it possible for someone to explain the steps we need to take to make this possible? This company would like to have it confirmed in writing as it they think it's a little too good to be true.

From what I've read and seen on the platform and help articles, there is no issue at all.

Best regards and have a great day!

1 REPLY 1
ArjayM

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for your message. On Upwork, you could work with a company based in a country other than yours. They can create an account so that they can hire you from a job post. You also have the option to send a Direct Contract to the company. You and your client can check this article on how to Get Started with Upwork if they prefer on creating an account. We won't be able to provide specific tax advice so you may need to talk to a local tax adviser about your concerns with VAT. For general information about how VAT is assessed on services provided by Upwork, see this help article.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths