cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working on Upwork with an Employment Authorization Card

michadorn
Micha D Member Since: Aug 8, 2017
1 of 14

I am a German citizen living in the US. I have applied for permanent residency and have been temporarily approved. I am still waiting for final approval. I have an employment authorization card, but no SSN. Am I allowed to work on UpWork? If yes, how do I verify my account? Thanks for the help!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 14

Micha, if you are legally allowed to work in the U.S, you are certainly allowed to work on Upwork while here.

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
3 of 14

If you speak to the IRS then I'm sure they'll be able to issue you with a SSN. The sooner you get one, the sooner you can start working and paying taxes, so its in their best interests. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
reidvfx
Jon R Member Since: Sep 14, 2017
4 of 14

I am in the same boat but the problem is when confirming you live in the US the Upwork system doesn't recognise the work authorization card as a valid proof.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 14

Jon,

U.S. location can only be verified with such documents as a driver's license, State ID or U.S. passport at the moment.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

~ Valeria
Upwork
sam-be
Sam B Member Since: Apr 3, 2018
6 of 14

Dear Valeria,

I have the same problem, I currently do not have a green card, but an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Can use that to verify US location?

Best

- Sam

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
7 of 14

Hi Sam, 

To be able to verify your location, you will need either of the following - a driver’s license, state ID card, US passport, Green Card. Please consult with your local advisor if you are allowed to work on Upwork just with an EAD. 

~ Avery
Upwork
tinabast
Krystina Z Member Since: May 13, 2018
8 of 14

I'm based in U.S. and eligible to work here. But I don't have passport or driver license yet. However I have my work authorization document that has photo on it and can be used as a photo ID. Can it be used to prove location?

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
9 of 14

Hi Krystina, 

To be able to verify your location, you will need either of the following - a driver’s license, state ID card, US passport, Green Card. Please consult with your local advisor if you are allowed to work on Upwork just with an EAD. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
tinabast
Krystina Z Member Since: May 13, 2018
10 of 14

Hello Bojan,

Thanks for a quick reply! How can I find a local advisor?

From legal point of view I need SSN and work authorization document to be able to work.

I have both but I'm neither a citizen or a green card holder yet. I also didn't get driver's license yet and I never heard about state ID in Pennsylvania.

Thanks,

Tina