🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Worried about a client
Page options
nicolas_vera
Community Member

Worried about a client

Hi.

The client asked for my ID card number (with the two last numbers as XX) and a photo of myself.

Should I be worried? Or it may just be that his company or the law of his country requires him to have certain data of everyone hired? Why would he need a photo for some voice data collection?

I've already submitted them so if he is an identity thief (I don't really think so) I may be doomed. 

Am I being too worried about nothing?

Thanks for 

3 REPLIES 3
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Nicolas,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket so that you can share more details about this with us and we will investigate it further.
Please keep in mind that you don`t need to send any private information to your clients, as we are always advising not to send any sensitive information. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks.

Nicolas:

I believe that SOMETIMES a client might be unfamiliar with how Upwork works, and might ask for things he shouldn't ask for.

My advice is to always refer them to Upwork. Tell them that they can contact Upwork Customer Support in order to confirm your identity or answer any questions they have in this area.

A real client will accept that and work within the system. A scammer or identity thief is not really interested in hiring you. They only want to trick you, steal from you, or get you identity information.

I have completed 165 jobs on Upwork. Not once have I ever provided photo ID or identity cards or numbers to a client.

But I HAVE gone through identity verification with Upwork itself, which is fine.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths