cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst Policy of Upwork

heckii
Muhammad F Member Since: Jan 24, 2018
11 of 15
Yeah the same issue with me and i decided to give up on Upwork. we paid 20% from our funds to Upwork and still we need to buy connects to bid on projects.
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 15

Muhammad F wrote:
Yeah the same issue with me and i decided to give up on Upwork. we paid 20% from our funds to Upwork and still we need to buy connects to bid on projects.

You need to make a "business decision", not a "heart decision"

Connects are an investment. If your return on the investment is poor, then you clearly either have to change your bidding behaviour, or use a different platform where your return on investment is more profitable.

Ultimately, that is all there is to it.

jaybopp82
Community Leader
Jason B Member Since: Jan 3, 2020
13 of 15

A lot of clients don't hire immediately.  You said you posted yesterday and checked today, but it is often for me to hear back from a client that I proposed to a few days after the proposal was sibmitted.  I also do have a good amount of proposals where the client never hired anyone, but we have to just accept this is Upwork's policy to not give the connects back.  Once we accept that, it won't be so bad.

885d1170
Christal V Member Since: Jul 19, 2020
14 of 15
And also, give chance to those who are newbie. Give them chance to experience the world of freelancing. And that includes me.
richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
15 of 15

Upwork introduced the system of paid connects to discourage freelancers from making as many proposals. If they started refunding connects on half of proposals, that would roughly halve the average cost of making a proposal, so would make the policy less effective. I guess they could offset the effect of the refunds by doubling the cost of connects. But you would still end up paying about the same on average as you do now, so it wouldn't help you.

In fact, I'm not sure the policy had been very effective, as the number of proposals looks about the same to me as it did before. Perhaps that's because there are more freelancers now.  Or perhaps it's because Upwork actually made it _cheaper_ to submit large numbers of proposals (more than about 50 a month) than it was before.