🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Would like some advice on setting up profile
Page options
irwinmona
Community Member

Would like some advice on setting up profile

I have just signed up with Upwork and am looking for some advice on setting up my profile. (I added my question to someone else's post but can't find it now, so I apologize for the duplication.)

I spent 20 years as a newspaper reporter, so I definitely can write, as well as proofread and edit. However, I am currently doing office work so am  also able to do transcription, very quickly and accurately, and would be able to work with letters, resumes, and so on.

I'm wondering what others think would be the best skill set to focus on -- the Writing skill set or the Office Administration skill set? I understand that I can include ALL of my skills, no matter which set I choose; I'm just looking for thoughts and advice on which would be the best to use as the main skill set. 

Thanks in advance for all advice. Smiley Happy

4 REPLIES 4
eworre2000
Community Member

Go to youtube and look up videos about Upwork even if the videos are not about your skills still look up videos about about Upwork and freelancing in general. John Morris is a coder but his videos about upwork are very thorough to the point of being pedantic. John Morris explains how to make a proposal for jobs on Upwork that is essential. He breaks down how to make the best profiles. Roberto Blake on youtube has videos that are very good examples of doing freelance work although he is a graphic designer and coder his content is very relevant for freelancers.

Thank you, I will check those out!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mona, 

You may also want to check this thread where our team has collated resources for how you can get started, and how you can become successful while freelancing on Upwork. 

I would recommend that you pay attention to the "Safety First!" section to help you work safely on Upwork. Goodluck and welcome to Upwork!

~ Avery
Upwork
irwinmona
Community Member

Thank you. I will definitely check that out as well. Smiley Happy

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths