🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Would this Risk Being Banned for 'Self-hiring...
Page options
d39b193c
Community Member

Would this Risk Being Banned for 'Self-hiring'?

I have an existing client relationship with I established off-Upwork many years ago. This client has an Upwork client account and I have a personal Upwork client account that is a team member on my client's Upwork account. I've also used Upwork to hire freelancers for jobs on behalf of my client as a team member on numerous occasions.

I just signed up to use Upwork as a freelancer and I'm wondering if I can manage MY relationship with my client (i.e. manage and bill for projects) via Upwork. However, I've read elsewhere that this could lead to my freelancer account being banned on suspicion of 'self-hiring'.

Could you please confirm that is this would be the case. I wouldn't want to do anything that would risk my Upwork account as a freelancer. 

Thank you and hope that made sense.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Seon,

We cannot allow clients to hire a team member as their freelancer because this will fall under Feedback building or self-hiring violation. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Seon,

You can use the same account and same log in information for both client and freelancer contexts. Then you can have a contract with a client as a freelancer and also be given Team Permissions for the client's account.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
d39b193c
Community Member

I'm not sure you understood the question. I'll try to rephrase.

Can a client with whom I am a team member hire me as a freelancer, or would that be classified as self-hiring?

Thanks!

Hi Seon,

We cannot allow clients to hire a team member as their freelancer because this will fall under Feedback building or self-hiring violation. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
d39b193c
Community Member

Got it. Thank you for clarifying!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths