🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: You're New, Give it Time.
Page options
digiphics
Community Member

You're New, Give it Time.

Ok, I just want to take this time to give a testimony.

I started this past November 2017 and wanted to sky rocket to the top and make a living wage freelancing. HALT, Do Not Pass Go... I started writing proposals that were slightly generic, added no samples and started to wonder why no one was interviewing me or sending me offers. I quickly jumped on the interwebs and read a few blogs (yes these are helpful), I wrote far better more personal proposals to clients, sent samples with my watermark(even if it was a sample from their provided assets), and 37 days exactly I started to get job offers.

I have since created a podcast nutrition logo, infographics for a Fortune 500 company, logos for a variety of clients, rollup banners and basic Photoshop background removal(my first job). Today, I recieved three offers for projects from my proposals. Look at my profile and read my feedback, they're awesome. Yours can be too!!!!

So for you Newbies, my advise to you is relax, write great poropsals, send samples if you can, wait/relax and keep sending proposals. You want to illicit interest from cilients so you do get the jobs you are suited for. It takes time and this time can take the wind out of your sails, Do Not Let This Kill Your Desire!!! This takes time as did the time it took you to be as awesome as you are!

Enjoy, Relax and Be a Fruitful Freelancer.

13 REPLIES 13
michw10
Community Member

Thank you for this. I joined over a year ago and never really got into it until last month. Wish I had actually gotten into long before. 

You're welcome. It is hard to attract clients, create the you you want them to see and hire! Good Luck and Happy Freelancing.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Glad to know everything is working out well for you, Gerald. 

I'd just like to share to both you, and Michelle, these resources we have compiled to help freelancers get started on Upwork, and access great tips and articles on how you can become more successful while freelancing on Upwork. 

You may also want to check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork: 

17 Tips for Boosting Your Success on Upwork

How to Create a Proposal That Wins Jobs

Good luck to both of you!

~ Avery
Upwork
cynthiafranks
Community Member

This is what I'm realizing. This has a learning curve. It reminds me of my Wordpress experience.

Wordpress was my first choice when I started a blog, but because I could not figure it out in one day, I went to another site. 

Five blog sites later, I have a WordPress blog and did some of their excellent classes and now I'm a WordPress Pro. I have my website with them. I learned CSS and HTML in order to customize my posts.

So, I'm going to leave my profile private for now while I work on it, read the blogs, watch the videos and not sweat it.

There are a lot of interesting jobs passing me by, but I have to wait. My day will come.

digiphics
Community Member

Hoping new Freelancers will read this, so I'm adding acomment hoping to goes back to the top of the letter list.

BUMP

Guess it's time I update this: To all that have read my posting you too can be successful. It takes time, dedication and perseverance. Here it is 8 months since I wrote that posting and am now on the verge of making my first $10,000. So yes, if you take the time to write great proposals, upload great samples and have a compelling profile, clients will hire you. DON't LOSE YOUR STEAM!!!

Good Luck New Comers and seasoned Freelance Vets.

dsmgdesign
Community Member

Hi, Gerald, 

I joined Upwork in late April 2018, but hit a wall immediately (like crickets...no interviews, nothing). I got one client in the Spring and then hit another slump and gave up. With my situation the way it was (I was laid off in April...and unemployment checks were coming to an end, with two kids and a mortgage) I decided to try again around September and have had clients come in slowly but surely. Things have just started picking up in the last month or two, and currently have 5 open jobs in progress with 5 completed jobs under my belt and a 100% JSS. I get a lot of invites now to jobs, and I feel like the momentum is picking up. But, even with this, I find myself writing many more proposals than I get offers for...and also still not making enough for one source of income...so I took a temporary part-time graphic design job as a second source of income. I'm curious, how many proposals do you write a month? And of those number of proposals, how many times are you hired? Also, how do you personalize proposals when there are so many postings that have job descriptions of 10 words or less, not giving freelancers enough to go on? Or do you not bother sending proposals if the client can't put 10 words together in their job description? Also, since you're a graphic designer, too, could you take a look at my profile and let me know what you think.

Thanks for your post. I'm hopeful that I will be able to maintain a continuous stream of clients, and work 40 hours weekly on Upwork (not including writing proposals, but 40hrs of actual paid time), but still not quite there yet. 

Thank you, 

Dave 

Hi David,

First, it's never good to get laid off, I was forced to resign as the creative director and enjoyed the $$ that the title came with. Unemployment refused to fund my claim and it's hard to pay the bills when you're used to certain lifestyle. I do feel ya on the hard to pay bills aprt. Now to answer some of your questions. 

I write maybe 15 proposals a month, get invited to around 30 project, which only 3% become jobs. How often am I hired, about 75% of the time after an interview.

I do personalize every letter to clients, even if they write 10 words. I add my own questions to them like Color palette chosen? Typefaces? Etc. Basic graphic design questions.

I'll check out your profile and if you have a website, I can look at that too. Looks like we joined the same time! I'll pm you my advise for your profile.

The challenge is very real.

I've attempted all forms of bidding (Up, Down, or the same) and haven't received engagement.

However, since deciding to start on Upwork, I also decided to start an LLC and obtain partnerships with both Zoho and Zendesk.

However, I'd love to hear from experienced freelancers, how you ended up getting your foot in the door with no completed jobs under your belt?  At this juncture, I'm about to start working for free just to get some profile history.

**Edited for community guidelines**

T.J.

Thomas B. wrote:

The challenge is very real.

I've attempted all forms of bidding (Up, Down, or the same) and haven't received engagement.

However, since deciding to start on Upwork, I also decided to start an LLC and obtain partnerships with both Zoho and Zendesk.

However, I'd love to hear from experienced freelancers, how you ended up getting your foot in the door with no completed jobs under your belt?  At this juncture, I'm about to start working for free just to get some profile history.

PS: If anyone needs Zoho or Zendesk assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me!

Please use your real name it is required.

I can understand a certain desperation and Wartung to work for free, but don‘t do it. Clients are Not allowed to ask for free work and you should never offer it. you are doing yourself and other freelancers a huge disservice and train clients to expect it. winning a job is about making a Connection. Displaying your Name could help!

Thomas, 

I founda  simple photoshop project that needed the background removed, I downloaded all the files and did the job and then watermarked them, sent the client a proposal with the samples and won the job. $40. It was a start and it's what I needed. 30 projects later I wonder sometime if I will have time to sleep. NEVER WORK FOR FREE!! And if you want to use T.J. as your name, then do it regardless if someone says it's required to use your name.

G.S.

lkagema
Community Member

Thank you! I had not thought about blogs.I will definitely do that.

I am new and fired like you .

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths