🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » are they trying to scam me?
Page options
0652cca090f1d0cb
Community Member

are they trying to scam me?

i found a freelancer on another platform that sent me a request for direct payment on this platform - we did agree that i will pay him upfront originally - but now after i funded the contract i am having doubts about releasing the payment without him doing the work. The work is Discord Managment for one week and i am not sure why he wants me to realease the payment without doing the work, his argument is that he needs money to pay his team, but his profile good rating and seems like he completed many jobs so he can easilly have his team do the work and receive payment from me. It just feels scammy somewhat.

Am i being paranoid and should just release the payment? Or should insist on delivering of work before anything?

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "now after i funded the contract i am having doubts about releasing the payment without him doing the work."

It is not Upwork's intention that clients release any escrow payment before the client:

a) receives the work, in its complete, unlocked format

b) has time to review the work and confirm that it is completed

If you decide to release payment to the freelancer BEFORE THAT, then THAT IS YOUR CHOICE.

A client is allowed to do that.

But then the money is gone. Upwork offers no protection to a client who releases money BEFORE receiving the finished work.

re: "The work is Discord Managment for one week and i am not sure why he wants me to realease the payment without doing the work"

Oh, I think I know why.

It is because: He wants money.

re: "Am i being paranoid and should just release the payment? Or should insist on delivering of work before anything?"

You are not necessarily being paranoid. Or maybe you are. I don't know.

You ARE ALLOWED to just release the payment.
Go ahead and release the payment.

Just understand that you are operating on the honor system, and Upwork won't help you get money back if the freelancer does nothing.

If this freelancer is 100% honest then YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Mirian S wrote:

i found a freelancer on another platform that sent me a request for direct payment on this platform - we did agree that i will pay him upfront originally - but now after i funded the contract i am having doubts about releasing the payment without him doing the work.

It doesn't sound to me like your freelancer is trustworthy; if you found them on another platform and they wanted to be paid via direct contract on Upwork, it's because they're trying to avoid paying fees owed on the other platform. And now they want you to release payment without them having done any work. There are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of other freelancers who could complete your job; I suggest that you hire somebody else.

kinector
Community Member

Wise words from Preston and Christine. 👍

As a freelancer, I've charged the first milestone upfront when I've needed others to do parts I am not good at (e.g. 3D modeling of a VR game).

As a client, I've also paid freelancers in advance for work I was 100% sure they would do. Usually, it was someone I already knew and had already worked with before.

The fact that you seem hesitant enough to post about this here makes me wonder why you got this funny feeling about this freelancer. Perhaps, it would be best to ask the freelancer to go by the normal process and point that guy here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063718-Get-Paid-for-Fixed-Price-Contracts

If the freelancer is experienced and professional, it shouldn't be a problem to go by the client's wishes.

Miriam, I'm sure this will work out, but anyway good luck just in case! 👍

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths