🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » bank account different name
Page options
leobart
Community Member

bank account different name

Hi everyone!

I got a problem, I used my mother bank account to transfer money. First I put her name on the Account Name then the rest important info. After that, there was a message;

"Bank verification in progress

Due to our updated identity policy, at least one of your payment methods has been deactivated as the beneficiary name of the bank account does not match your name."
After that, I edit and put my name instead.
More than a week after the payment has been processed, still the is no money in my mothers bank account.

A friend of mine said that the bank account should match the name to transfer money on the bank or there will be a problem.

I'm sure I made a huge mistake here, my question is what will happen to the money?
The payment has been processed already says on my notification.

Thanks in advanced for the help, I will appreciate it!
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Leonardo, 

Direct to local bank transfers are typically processed within 2 to 5 business days. If there is an issue with the bank account, in this case, the name on the Upwork account, and the name of the bank doesn't match, the money will be refunded back to your Upwork account.

If the money still hasn't reflected on your account after 8-business days, you may come back here, or reach out to the Customer Support Directly so that they can issue a trace for you. 

I would recommend that you setup a new payment method, making sure that it matches your Upwork account details, while waiting for this transaction to be reversed.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46

Hi Mariia,

To set up payment, you must be listed as an account holder or authorized signer on the chosen account. If you have a joint account with your husband that should work.

~Andrea
Upwork
5f1b8bba
Community Member

I can't open my account yet, but my husband signed me up with his insurance. He pays all taxes for himself and for me, how can I confirm his account in the payment settings?

Hi Mariia,

As part of the ToS you agreed to when you signed up, we require your name to match the name on any bank accounts or payment methods you intend to use. The listed name on the account must match your verified name on Upwork.

~ AJ
Upwork

Okay, what if I get a general power of attorney in my name to access this bank account and send it to you?

Hi Mariia,

We still cannot allow payment methods under a different name on your Upwork account. As advised by AJ, the name on your payment method must match the registered name on the Upwork account.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
a5fe7408
Community Member

Hello, I have a problem with my name that I registered as here on Upwork. I used my nickname and my middle name (Rayray Parba) instead of my legal name (Ray Parba Madridia). Now the names were mismatched when I entered my bank account information (obviously I used my legal name there). I already sent my ID for verification purposes. I am going to be in trouble for this? Please do help.

Hi Rayray,

Thank you for reaching out. Our team actively reviews all accounts and will reach out to you with instructions on how you can update your account to be verified.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths