🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » bank verification
Page options
4b8da6bc
Community Member

bank verification

my bank statments are mailed to me once a month - my bank doesnt do online stuff - how do I get around this ridiculous verification thing? I tried pay pal which is what i do all my business transactions with but yall dont accept pay pal either - even tho you have a giant pay pal button (smh) so i want to pay my designer but we are both stuck because of this nonsensicle hoop jumping. how am i supposed to pay my guy if I submitted my bank info and cc and pay pal and you arent accepting any of it unless i wait a month for a piece of paper to get mailed to me showing spare change that got thrown at me. wth?

11 REPLIES 11
nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Niki,

It looks as though you have added a credit card as a payment method and will need to verify it before you can proceed with using the card. Will you be able to access your credit card statement online to confirm the 2 small charges that were charged by Upwork in order to complete the verification process? You may check out this article for more information about the verification process pertaining to credit cards.

Please note that it is often possible to call your bank to confirm the verification deposit amounts.

Upwork does accept Paypal but it needs to be a verified Paypal account.

~Nina

I would have thought that, these days, any US bank (or pretty well any bank in the world) that "does not do online stuff" would have a short-lived existence.

Lol!

@Nichola L wrote:

I would have thought that, these days, any US bank (or pretty well any bank in the world) that "does not do online stuff" would have a short-lived existence.

Lol!

The reason why PayPal does not work for her is probably because she is not (contrary to her Upwork profile claim) in the US.... The list of countries in which PayPal is not accepted as an Upwork payment method is strikingly similar to the list of countries where banks still send out paper statements and where banks can not be called by phone to ask for the verification charges.

@Petra R wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

Lol!

The reason why PayPal does not work for her is because she is not (contrary to her Upwork profile claim) in the US.... The list of countries in which PayPal is not accepted as an Upwork payment method is strikingly similar to the list of countries that still send out paper statements.

That's what I thought! I think transparency as to location should work equally for both freelancer and client. 😉

4b8da6bc
Community Member

im in virginia. tf?

4b8da6bc
Community Member

are you referring to me? Im in virginia. i use a local bank because I didnt want to support the large banks that finance bull**bleep** like the piple line going through standing rock.  But these local banks....ive had enough. I do all my business transactions through pay pal and have never had to deal with the likes of any of this. 

@niki c wrote:

are you referring to me? Im in virginia. i use a local bank because I didnt want to support the large banks that finance bull**bleep** like the piple line going through standing rock.  But these local banks....ive had enough. I do all my business transactions through pay pal and have never had to deal with the likes of any of this. 

I also get paper statements. However, my bank is most definitely online and would most definitely not exist if it refused to comply with 21st century banking requirements. I also do all my business transactions through PayPal - but - I was required to give PayPal a complete verification - passport - utility bill, and my online banking details (not passwords obviously) - so why are you jibbing at completing a relatively painless verification with Upwork?

because its not painless for me.  And of all the business transactions I do online I have never had to do go through any sort of verification process to prove my bank or my pay pal account or my money was real. Its just surprising theres not another option for those of us that only get paper statements mailed to us. I just feel bad for the guy im trying to pay because hes going to have to wait until my dumb statements arrive in the mail next month before I can go through this places verification process to pay him. Like okay if thats how yall want to do things fine - but why not offer another solution for those of us your hoop jumping course doesnt add up for. Like I have the money. The guy did the work. I want to pay him, for said work, but suddenly I'm being stopped because there seems to be no other work around. Not even pay pal? Really? My pay pal is verified with everyone else but not good enough for you guys? I dont get it. Also? My first time on here and I get called a fake or a liar that I'm not in the united states or whatever when all I'm trying to do is get some customer support? Wtf is up with you people. I'll mail the designer a check and it will get there faster than this ridiculous process. But again - why in this day and age am I having to send a check when every other place takes my money online no issue.

@niki c wrote:

because its not painless for me.  And of all the business transactions I do online I have never had to do go through any sort of verification process to prove my bank or my pay pal account or my money was real. Its just surprising theres not another option for those of us that only get paper statements mailed to us. I just feel bad for the guy im trying to pay because hes going to have to wait until my dumb statements arrive in the mail next month before I can go through this places verification process to pay him. Like okay if thats how yall want to do things fine - but why not offer another solution for those of us your hoop jumping course doesnt add up for. Like I have the money. The guy did the work. I want to pay him, for said work, but suddenly I'm being stopped because there seems to be no other work around. Not even pay pal? Really? My pay pal is verified with everyone else but not good enough for you guys? I dont get it. Also? My first time on here and I get called a fake or a liar that I'm not in the united states or whatever when all I'm trying to do is get some customer support? Wtf is up with you people. I'll mail the designer a check and it will get there faster than this ridiculous process. But again - why in this day and age am I having to send a check when every other place takes my money online no issue.

I still don't know what your problem is.

Nina, who is an Upwork moderator, has given you a pretty straightfoward reply.

I wouldn't try and pay your freelancer off site though, this would get your and the freelancer's account suspended.

@niki c wrote:

And of all the business transactions I do online I have never had to do go through any sort of verification process to prove my bank 

Every time you add a bank account on PayPal, they send you 2 transactions that you have to verify using your bank statement. You had to do it when you set up your PayPal account. Upwork is doing the same.

What is your US bank's name that they don't have an online access?!? Is there one bank remaining in the US that has no Internet access?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
jmeyn
Community Member

@niki c wrote:

Well, you might have set up a verified payment method before hiring somebody. And, if that guy made the mistake of working for someone without verified payment method he'll have learned his lesson now.

Paying him outside of Upwork might get your account suspended. A cheque will anyway be useful for them only if they are located in the US. Outside the US cheques are hardly in use any more and the fees for cashing them are ridiculous.

Niki the process for setting up a PayPal account is no different to Upwork's process. You have to prove your identity and credentials much the same way, so where's the problem doing this with Upwork?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths