🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » best practices if you're new to Upwork?
Page options
e5fb259f
Community Member

best practices if you're new to Upwork?

Hello! I am new to Upwork and have been bidding on projects for a couple weeks now. I have been in marketing and sales in health tech in senior roles for 15 years but burned out and decided to do some freelance to tide me over and perhaps establish a new career path.

I am a great marketer who can write, and also love doing content strategy. My clients that I have gotten outside of Upwork pay about $150/hour for me. On Upwork, I lowered my rate slightly to $140/hour, not really being sure of what people pay for an expert on the platform.

Can someone help me with potential best practices around how to best market myself and what to charge for my services? Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "not really being sure of what people pay for an expert on the platform."

They pay what you tell them to pay.

Nobody but you can decide what rates you charge.

good to know. have you seen people charge similar rates as I was mentioning (ie, ~$150/hr)?

re: "have you seen people charge similar rates as I was mentioning"

Yes, definitely.

I can't guarantee that you can get paid that much.

But there are many freelancers whose hourly rates are in that range, and who regularly get hired.

The problem for you is that you have no Upwork work history.

That's a huge marketing advantage.

Clients are eager to hire me, partially due to my Upwork work history.

You need to get some work history in order be more apealing to clients, so you may want to do some fixed-price contracts first. Because that lets you get on the board, without needing to display an hourly rate.

great, thank you. that's super helpful!

Cynthia, make sure that your profiles are in first person, not third.  Sounds better to Upwork clients somehow.

Thank you Mary, really appreciate the tip 🙂 done and done!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths