🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » can not manually log time
Page options
seto
Community Member

can not manually log time

I'm trying to manyally log a time but whenever I select it - I'm getting some annoing meaningless random errors. When I'm trying to log time from 9:00am to 12:00am it says `time in "to" should be bigger than in "from"`. When I'm trying to log time from 9:00am to 10:20am  the error is different (thus they seems to be random) - `You cannot add future manual time, check your time`. When I select interval from 9:00am to 10:00am then everything is ok and I was finally able to log 1 hour (spending 20 minutes to actually log it)

5 REPLIES 5
martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Konstantin K wrote:

I'm trying to manyally log a time but whenever I select it - I'm getting some annoing meaningless random errors. When I'm trying to log time from 9:00am to 12:00am it says `time in "to" should be bigger than in "from"`. When I'm trying to log time from 9:00am to 10:20am  the error is different (thus they seems to be random) - `You cannot add future manual time, check your time`. When I select interval from 9:00am to 10:00am then everything is ok and I was finally able to log 1 hour (spending 20 minutes to actually log it)

Before you declare something as being **bleep**ty, you might want to educate yourself on how upwork, or time in general, works. 

You can't input future time, because the system assumes that you input hours AFTER you worked them.

You are able to input manual time, but you will get the alert that manual hours are not payment protected. So you are free to do that, but don't later come running here crying that the client did not pay you. 

Rather use the time tracker, it will give your client random screen-shots proving that you worked on their project. Don't come crying back later that the client disputes your hours because the screen-shots show you did something completely different. 

And generally, don't get all worked up over nothing just because you don't know how something works. It is not becoming. 

Manual time can be unavoidable. Because of its uncertainties, I (almost) never use it.

This past week I had to use it because an hourly client asked me to travel for a full day for a meeting with them in another city. Using TimeTracker's auto-tracking would not have worked in this situation.

I have worked with this client for some time, so I don't have a lof of concern they will disapprove the manual entry. However, what makes no sense to me is, as I understand it, the client can come back AT ANY TIME IN THE FUTURE and change their mind about making this payment to me and have the payment reversed.

Is this true?

Would it have been safer to ask the client to pay me a bonus for the week in the same amount?

re: "Would it have been safer to ask the client to pay me a bonus for the week in the same amount?"

Bonus payments are at least as un-protected as manual time.

A client doesn't even need to pay you a bonus payment that she agrees to. Paying a bonus payment or not is entirely up to her. Upwork doesn't enforce it.

At least with manualy time you:

a) add to hour hours count

and

b) automatically get paid if the client does nothing

@Will L wrote:
However, what makes no sense to me is, as I understand it, the client can come back AT ANY TIME IN THE FUTURE and change their mind about making this payment to me and have the payment reversed.

Is this true?

Only via a chargeback, which is easier in some countries and very difficult in others. The client would then be kicked off the platform, as chargebacks are specifically forbidden in the terms of service.

There is no "have it reversed at any time" (other than a chargeback via the bank / card) beyond the 30 days the client has to dispute.

yitwail
Community Member

Konstantin, it wouldn’t let you manually log time from 9:00am to 12:00am because 12:00am is midnight. You should have selected 12:00pm, unless you really worked for 15 consecutive hours.
Learning Paths