cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cant undestand how payment works.. am i scammed?

Highlighted
Triantafyllos A Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
1 of 13

hello everybody,

i have some problems understanding how payment works (ofcourse)

I think its because my english is not very good..

this is my situation

funded.jpg

I did the photoshop work on many mercedes photos that my client needed.   We did some work before also, and i always have comunication problems with him because he always finds excuses for not paying me on time. It started getting really annoying. Now he even told me that he got late because his friends mother died, like we are 9 y.o. but he still didnt pay me.

As you can see in the picture the amount is funded but he is not approving even thought i send him the final work. He tells me that he gave money in escrow so everything is fine, but i don't understand..

My questions are:

1. what  is the difference of milestone and escrow.

2. is there a possibility, if he gave money in escrow as he says, to get it back instead of paying me?

3. am i doing something wrong??  I think that he only needs to approve the payment.. i dont get it

Thank you so muck in advance

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 13

Triantafyllos, if he doesn't approve it after 14 days, it will automatically be approved so there's nothing to worry about. Just be patient.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Triantafyllos A Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
3 of 13

oh, thanks!  Smiley Happy

But is there any chance he can take it back??

He thought that if he approves it he will be charge twice, because "he allready gave the money in escrow". I think he is trying to play with me. anyway thanks for your reply..

If someone can tell me in one centence what is the escrow i would be happy..!

Thank you

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 13

Welcome. Escrow just means that Upwork is holding money for payment, and the money will be released to the freelancer when the client approves the milestone after reviewing your work, or 14 days have passed, whichever comes first. Upwork does this for fixed price jobs so that you, the freelancer, know you will be paid when the milestone is approved after you deliver the work requested.

Pamela W Member Since: Dec 14, 2016
5 of 13

That's interesting, because I'm now on day 15, of what turned out to be a scam, and still have not been paid, even though his job post said he was payment verified.  

Pamela

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
6 of 13

@Pamela W wrote:

That's interesting, because I'm now on day 15, of what turned out to be a scam, and still have not been paid, even though his job post said he was payment verified.  

Pamela

Pamela - What makes  you think that the job is a scam?

Also, if this is a fixed rate job, has escrow been fully funded for the payment you requiested? The client's account may be verified, but if there's nothing in escrow, if the client didn't deposit anything into escrow, it doesn't matter if his payment method is verified.

And if this is an hourly job, it take a week before the hours are calculated, and then I think 2 days for you to review the Time Tracker sheets and then a week for the client to review it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 13

@Pamela W wrote:

Day 15 of what, exactly?

Did you click on "Submit work and request payment" 15 days ago?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 13

Hi Pamela,

I see you had a conversation with our team regarding your recent Hourly contract and the client who was removed from Upwork for violating Upwork ToS. Please communicate with our team through the open ticket if you have any questions as we can't discuss account-specific issues in the Community.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Carly L Member Since: Nov 21, 2016
9 of 13

The picture says that you requested payment one hour ago.

Maybe he's pooping. 

Give it some time.

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 13

@Carly L wrote:

Maybe he's pooping.  

Can we say that? I might have said 'powdering his nose' or 'answering the call of nature' instead. Cat Embarassed