🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » client asking for deposit
Page options
Community Member

client asking for deposit

Hello! Im a new feelancer on here and just got my first potential client. They are asking me to make a deposit before I begin the project to "prove I take this seriously". Their payment is not verified. Is this usual? Should I trust this? They also message me on telegram, so I'm not sure if that's a red flag.

Any input is much appreciated

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Sultanah B wrote:

They are asking me to make a deposit before I begin the project to "prove I take this seriously".

It is, of course, a scam.

Sultanah B wrote:

They also message me on telegram, so I'm not sure if that's a red flag.

No, that is strictly forbidden. Please never communicate with any prospective clients off the platform, as this is a violation of Upwork's terms of service (you must keep communication on Upwork only until you are officially hired on Upwork) and makes you vulnerable to being scammed.

Scammers prey on new freelancers. Stay alert and don't break the rules and you should be safe from most of them.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Sultanah B wrote:

They are asking me to make a deposit before I begin the project to "prove I take this seriously".

It is, of course, a scam.

Sultanah B wrote:

They also message me on telegram, so I'm not sure if that's a red flag.

No, that is strictly forbidden. Please never communicate with any prospective clients off the platform, as this is a violation of Upwork's terms of service (you must keep communication on Upwork only until you are officially hired on Upwork) and makes you vulnerable to being scammed.

Scammers prey on new freelancers. Stay alert and don't break the rules and you should be safe from most of them.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Many thanks for this!

Community Member

Thank you so much

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths