🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » client has given a test assignment
Page options
arunasalman
Community Member

client has given a test assignment

Hi,

I just got my first answer back from a client, he wants me to do a test assignment to create a banner and he has given a link where I can find branding guidelines and sample banners. He's asking for this banner to be made in canva and give him the editing link within 48 hours.

I see that he's not a new client and has hired before, so history is good.

My question, is it ok to do this assignment and provide the link, or should I be asking for a contact or something?

and how should I go about asking for a contract. 

I am new and would appreciate a quick help. thank you 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

You should never work without a contract, even a test. Clients are not allowed to ask for free work. You say something like: Dear John, I look forward to working with you! I'm ready to start anytime after receiving your offer!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
martina_plaschka
Community Member

You should never work without a contract, even a test. Clients are not allowed to ask for free work. You say something like: Dear John, I look forward to working with you! I'm ready to start anytime after receiving your offer!

Thank you Martina for your quick response. 

If a client wants you to do a test, he should still hire you properly and pay a partial amount. But if he's given you branding guidelines and told you to do the work, then how is that even a "test"?

Yes, exactly, from what I have gathered, this is something not acceptable but he just messaged me saying "Are you not willing to complete a test assignment?"

to this I think I should reply that I am but as per Upwork guidelines we need to have some sort of contact before I do any assignment.

Is it right to reply to this in such a way ?

I don't know. This doesn't sound like a client you should work with. It is entirely possible that a new client doesn't know all the rules, but this is not a new client. 

I would not even mention upwork guidelines. When you are saying: Per upwork guidelines we need to have a contract or I can't do free work, or something like that, you are basically telling the client he is a cheater. I wouldn't do that. I would simply tell him your price and that you are waiting for his offer. 

I don't even blame Upwork guidelines, I just refer them to my portfolio and say that I don't do tests (paid or not). If a client can't decide whether or not they want to work with me based on the information I've already provided in my profile and proposal, then I'd rather not work with them, either.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths