🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: client request I email admin directly co...
Page options
amy-goldman
Community Member

client request I email admin directly convo & do a task test OFF Upwork -- is this allowed?

Hi. I'm a new to Upwork & I'm in need of guidance re: the interview process...(I've searched the community chats and haven't come across an answer.)

I've exchanged a couple of emails w/potential client (proposal & a basic Q/A re: my experience), then she asked I email her admin directly (not via Upwork) to "continue the conversation & set up time to do a test task". The client has its payment verified & has spent more than $10,000 on Upwork.

1. Does all communication need to be done via Rooms? Or only until hired & contract finalized? (vs direct offline emails)?

2. Is this even permitted? Am I being too cautious?

3. Should I be receiving a payment for doing their 'task test'?

4. How would you recommend I respond so as to not disuade the client & gently mention the protocols?

I welcome your counsel & suggestions on how to manage this process.

Thanks in advance!
~Amy

2 REPLIES 2
yitwail
Community Member

Amy, Upwork is indifferent to how you communicate with a client as long as payment goes through Upwork exclusively. The test task on the other hand is in a gray area. If it’s asking for free work then it violates site terms but hypothetically if the test is strictly for evaluation purposes and not a trick to get you to work for free, then it’s ok.

re: "The client has its payment verified & has spent more than $10,000 on Upwork."

i don't love it when ANY client asks freelancers to do test tasks without paying them.

BUT: This is clearly a real client who pays freelancers real money.

If I was interested in this job, I would do the test if it wasn't too onerous or time-consuming.

There's a difference between scammers and real clients who want to separate good freelancers from rubbish freelancers with a small test.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths