🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: client stopped responding
Page options
b988ecd5
Community Member

client stopped responding

I am very new to Upwork, so please bear that in mind. I was contacted by a client who wanted to pay me for a short editing job as a test, which I thought was fine. But it's been 2 days since I responded (which I did nearly immediately) and I haven't heard anything else. Is this normal?Thanks for any help!

8 REPLIES 8
colettelewis
Community Member

Anne S wrote:

I am very new to Upwork, so please bear that in mind. I was contacted by a client who wanted to pay me for a short editing job as a test, which I thought was fine. But it's been 2 days since I responded (which I did nearly immediately) and I haven't heard anything else. Is this normal?Thanks for any help!

Hi Anne, 

Did you have a contract  for the test? If not you have probably lost out. If you did have a contract and it was fixed-price with escrow funded, and you pressed the release funds button when you submitted the work, then the client has 14 days to review your work. If your client doesn't come back to you before then, the funds will be released into your account. 

I had an Upwork message in which a price was mentioned, and I agreed, but that's it. I assume that doesn't work as a contract? Thanks so much.

Anne S wrote:

I had an Upwork message in which a price was mentioned, and I agreed, but that's it. I assume that doesn't work as a contract? Thanks so much.

How it works:

After discussions in messenger and mutual agreement on price, etc, client sends an offer.

You open offer and click on accept. Now you see the job in your my jobs list. Now you start working. 

Don't get all antsy if a client does not respond within 2 days, even if you are anxiously waiting, the person might be busy with many other things. Don't be disappointed if you never hear from them again, it's just the nature of doing business with strangers on the internet. (though there are enough nice and polite clients out there, you will find them.)

prestonhunter
Community Member

If this client has not hired you, then this client owes you absolutely nothing. This client isn't obligated to respond to you in any way.

If a client HAS hired me, then the client isn't obligated to respond in any way. I can do my work and get paid just fine.

Preston H wrote:

If this client has not hired you, then this client owes you absolutely nothing. This client isn't obligated to respond to you in any way.

If a client HAS hired me, then the client isn't obligated to respond in any way. I can do my work and get paid just fine.

Yes but a paid test is a different matter, as it potentially leads to more substantial and better paid work.

@ Anne

And I have just realized, that I have often had to wait days, sometimes considerably longer, while a client reviews the work before making his or her mind up as to who to hire. So if you think the client is above board and it is work you would be interested in doing, wait a bit longer - even if you did not have a formal contract in place. 

Thank you both.

I have messages from the client in which he proposed and I accepted a price for the test, but I'm not sure that consitutes a contract. He hasn't sent the test document. The only other really odd thing is that I am getting emails from Upwork saying I have unread messages in this thread, but I can't see anything other than his initial message, my reply, and my "hello again" message.

re: "I had an Upwork message in which a price was mentioned, and I agreed, but that's it. I assume that doesn't work as a contract?"

You are correct.

That doesn't count as a contract.

You can't get paid for this.

Anne S wrote:

Thank you both.

I have messages from the client in which he proposed and I accepted a price for the test, but I'm not sure that consitutes a contract. He hasn't sent the test document. The only other really odd thing is that I am getting emails from Upwork saying I have unread messages in this thread, but I can't see anything other than his initial message, my reply, and my "hello again" message.

Great! But this time make sure the contract is formal, and if it is a fixed-price contract, that the amount in escrow corresponds to what you quoted. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths