🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » client switched offer from hourly to fixed fo...
Page options
mcrobbins
Community Member

client switched offer from hourly to fixed for shift work

I submitted a proposal to a client advertising an hourly rate customer service type job. Client is new to Upwork.

After the interview, I was messaged with an offer for a fixed monthly price. Given the nature of the job (daily scheduled shift to process incoming calls) a switch to fixed rate monthly offer seemed unusual to me.  Client cited reason as being unable to project the work volume because it's a new launch. 

With no milestones or project documentation involved, I'm concerned about payment protection.

Anyone have experience with or a knowledgeable opinion on this type of scenario? 

Thanks so much for your help.

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Clients can not decide what contracts I agree to.

As a freelancer, the final step in establishing a contract is for me to click the "Accept" button.

When a client wants to hire me, I tell the client what his options are. The client may then choose to accept those options or not.

Is this client offering to hire you with a "monthly" fixed-price contract?
Of course you should NOT accept such a thing.

You should offer your services to this client using an hourly contract.

If the client insists on using a fixed-price contract model, then you need to set it up so that you are getting paid REGULARLY. Not monthly. (That would be ridiculous.)

If I had a client like that, I would offer the client the opportunity to use an hourly contract, or use small fixed-price contracts that would pay out for the work that I do on a daily basis.

Instead of waiting for a MONTH to get paid (!?), the client could (for example) set up fixed-price contracts for only $100 for each KH-589 file that I process. It takes me about one day to process each KH-589 file, so that means the client would be releasing $100 to me each day.

If the work involves handling phone calls, then I would offer the client an opportunity to use fixed-price contracts that cover (for example) two hours worth of phone call work. After I do two hours' worth of phone calls, then the client will release payment to me and close the contract and create a new contract. If the client does not do as instructed, then it means I no longer work for the client.

A client who wants to "play around" with the contract models should be kept on a short leash. As a freelancer, should either decline to work with a client like this at all, or require that the client demonstrate total honesty and fidelity to the agreement.

I don't know what is up with THIS particular client. But generally speaking, I would assume that any client who wants you to work for him for an entire month without paying you is just playing games and trying to get you to work for free.

re: "Client cited reason as being unable to project the work volume because it's a new launch."

If this is a new launch and there is very little work involved, then it means the client will end up paying you very little money using an hourly contract.

Wanting to use a fixed-price contract for something that obviously should be handled using an hourly contract makes me think that the client is a schemer.

Maybe the best thing would be to tell the client: "Oh, don't worry about that. If things start out slow, then I won't be handling many phone calls. If you use an hourly contract, you will only pay for the time I actually spend on the phone with customers. We can't use a fixed-price contract for this, but an hourly contract won't be expensive."

Thank you!

lysis10
Community Member

Michele R wrote:

I submitted a proposal to a client advertising an hourly rate customer service type job. Client is new to Upwork.

After the interview, I was messaged with an offer for a fixed monthly price. Given the nature of the job (daily scheduled shift to process incoming calls) a switch to fixed rate monthly offer seemed unusual to me.  Client cited reason as being unable to project the work volume because it's a new launch. 

With no milestones or project documentation involved, I'm concerned about payment protection.

Anyone have experience with or a knowledgeable opinion on this type of scenario? 

Thanks so much for your help.

Several clients do this. Just tell them that you only work hourly if you want to work hourly.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths