🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » client
Page options
malmstromsarah
Community Member

client

hello I have a client that was to work with me but I am ify because he is saying that they will pay for the software and computer by sending me a check by email to pay for all of it and I just have to cash is throw my mobile banking app. is that normal?

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

No, this is NOT "normal".

This is the most common scam on Upwork.

There is no job with that.

Those peoplel are trying to steal money out of your bank account.

Your questions show us that you need to do more homework.

You need to learn more about Upwork's rules.

petra_r
Community Member

Sarah M wrote:

hello I have a client that was to work with me but I am ify because he is saying that they will pay for the software and computer by sending me a check by email to pay for all of it and I just have to cash is throw my mobile banking app. is that normal?

One of the oldest scams on the Interet. The check is obviously fake and you'd lose your money and probably your bank account after sending the money back to the scammer (in the guise of the seller of the non-existant software and computer)

Please note that partly to protect you from scammers like that you are not allowed to communicate with any prospective clients outside the platform under any circumstances until you have a contract on upwork in place. Please also note that accepting any payment outside the platform at any time for any reason is also most strictly forbidden.

Also think for a moment: Which real company would send a real check for thousands of Dollars to a random stranger on the Internet? Even if clients bought computers and software for freelancers (they don't, of course), clearly they would just buy the stuff and have it shipped to the freelancer, no?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths