🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: clients who would recommend you
Page options
ruijterthera
Community Member

clients who would recommend you

Hello everyone!

I have only been with Upwork for a couple of months. To date I have not had many clients but quite a few who continue to give me work, which means no feedback. Unfortunately I had a customer recently that wasn't happy with my translation, so I gave them a discount. There was a misunderstanding of how expressions and song text should be translated or interpreted. The public feedback was fine, but my 'clients who would recommend you' stat has dropped to 88%. It presume this is because of private feedback. Not sure what this will mean for JSS or winning jobs in the future.

Private feedback gives some the opportunity to be excessive with their negativity even though the public feedback is fine. How can this be managed? How can I get my score to where it needs to be? Very concerned about what potential new clients are going to think when they see this.

Any guidance is much appreciated!

Thanks

Thera

6 REPLIES 6
yitwail
Community Member

Thera, clients will never see the percentage of clients who would recommend you, which is also known as private feedback. Instead, you should be concerned with its possible effect on your Job Success score. The size of the effect depends on how many jobs you’ve completed, so in your case it might have a significant effect. But one or 2 positive outcomes will probably neutralize it so I think it’s too early to worry about it.

@John K wrote:
The size of the effect depends on how many jobs you’ve completed, so in your case it might have a significant effect. But one or 2 positive outcomes will probably neutralize it so I think it’s too early to worry about it.

That's not really how percentages work...

If you think about it:

Say you have 9 apples. All are green. (100% of your apples are green)

You buy a red apple. You now have 10 apples, one of which is red. (Your green apple percentage is 90%)

Even buying 10 more green apples brings your green apple percentage up to only 95%

I am concerned about my JSS score because this one client will have a hugh effect on it. It's noticable that the feedback he gave me is fine, but the numbers behind the scene are very different. On top of that I just had a customer who needed urgent work doing today, which I did and they are happy, but he has not left me feedback! Not my day!!!! At this rate my career is over before it gets going!

@Thera R wrote:

On top of that I just had a customer who needed urgent work doing today, which I did and they are happy, but he has not left me feedback! Not my day!!!! At this rate my career is over before it gets going!

If the work was only done today, the client has 14 days to leave feedback, and why did you close the contract so rapidly rather than encouraging the client to do it, in which case you would have been guaranteed feedback?

Dont' worry, I didn't close the contract, the client did. I read about those issues at the beginning. I got a message saying that the contract had been closed so I left feedback but the client has not. Hopefully they will remember, as I know they are focussed on their deadline tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

If the client closed the contract, he did leave feedback. He has to.

Go to your "my jobs" tab and select that contract. You should see his feedback there. It tatkes a bit before it shows up on your profile, though.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths