🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » confused about ending contracts and JSS
Page options
dsmgdesign
Community Member

confused about ending contracts and JSS

Hello, 

I was just awarded my first upwork job, and it's still open. 

I'm confused about some comments that I have read on this forum about how new freelancers like me aren't getting a JSS score because their clients ended the contract without gving feedback. 

Lets say a satisfied client ends a contract and doesn't give feedback. If that client then gives feedback after they ended the contract, will that count towards my JSS? Is it possible to give feedback after it ends? or is the only opportunity to give feedback that counts on JSS happen during the process of ending the contract...or before the contract ends? Confused about this whole thing works. The client has been very satisfied, he's waiting on feedback from some colleagues. Any tips for me to ensure his satisfaction for me translates into a positive JSS? 

Thank you 

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

@David S M wrote:

I'm confused about some comments that I have read on this forum about how new freelancers like me aren't getting a JSS score because their clients ended the contract without gving feedback.

It is physically IMPOSSIBLE for a client to end a contract without giving feedback.

Thank you so much. That is exactly what I needed to know. The Freelancer Guide is a little misleading, then. The freelancer guide says "Because you receive final feedback only after the job is closed, feel free to ask them to close the contract once the work is reviewed and paid for." So, the opportunity to ask for feedback is before the contract ends? 

@David S M wrote:

Thank you so much. That is exactly what I needed to know. The Freelancer Guide is a little misleading, then. The freelancer guide says "Because you receive final feedback only after the job is closed, feel free to ask them to close the contract once the work is reviewed and paid for." So, the opportunity to ask for feedback is before the contract ends? 

No, IMO it's not professional to ask a client to leave feedback. If they close the conract they HAVE to leave feedback. That's the way the pages/feedback work when a client closes a contract. And that's why it's important to have a client close a contract rather then a freelancer.  Also note, that a client has 14 days in which to review and approve work.

Please explain, Is feedback a required field when clients close the contract? Has Upwork changed the platform making this a required field? I can't tell you how many posts I have read where freelancers said clients closed it out without leaving any feedback, so that just adds to my confusion. 

Hello David,

You will be required to leave a feedback if you are the one who closed the contract. Same goes to your client. If your client closed your contract, he/she will be required to leave a feedback. Please click here to learn more about ending a contract. Thanks!

Untitled

@David S M wrote:

1) Please explain, Is feedback a required field when clients close the contract?

2) Has Upwork changed the platform making this a required field?

3) I can't tell you how many posts I have read where freelancers said clients closed it out without leaving any feedback, so that just adds to my confusion. 

1) Yes. As I said a couple of posts further up: It is physically impossible to end a contract without leaving feedback. The person who does the "ending of contract" can not go through with it without leaving feedback.

2) No change, it has been like that since I've been here (years)

3) No, that would be posts that either say they can not SEE the feedback yet (because it does not appear on the profile within nanoseconds, or that THEY (the freelancers) closed the contract and the client didn't leave feedback.

Personally I never mention feedback to any client in any way. It's such an unprofessional thing to do.

I do encourage clients to end a contract as soon as the work is done. That way I get feedback automatically when they do.

Another occasional source of confusion about feedback is freelancers who think feedback will have a negative effect on Job Success if the client only gives stars and doesn't  take the time to add a verbal comment.

Learning Paths