🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: excited, first job, but now what?
Page options
mallyc
Community Member

excited, first job, but now what?

ok, i just got my first job, do they reach out by phone, how does it go now? I don't want to seem like I don't know the process.

5 REPLIES 5
michael_skaggs
Community Member

All the main things you should know can be found here:

https://www.upwork.com/hiring/education/getting-started-for-freelancers/

Also, unless you see an active (and if fixed-price, fully funded) contract on your "My Jobs" page...do not do any work whatsoever. No contract listed = no job = don't waste your time.

hijaziebadsyed
Community Member

Hi Cynthia,
Client will discuss about the contract on Upwork Message tab. You should need know that contract is funded or not. If contract is funded then do your work, otherwise don't do any free work. You can see the active contract on 'My Jobs' tab. I hope this information will be helpful for you. Thank you.
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Cynthia M wrote:

ok, i just got my first job, do they reach out by phone, how does it go now? I don't want to seem like I don't know the process.

They can only reach you by phone if you have given them your number. I have never done that, but that's my personal preference.

It does not sound as if you have material to start your work?

colettelewis
Community Member

Cynthia M wrote:

As Michael says: You do not have a job unless the client has sent you a formal contract via Upwork and you have accepted the agreed terms, whether an hourly job or fixed rate. When this has been agreed, Upwork will send you a notification saying your contract has started. If none of this has happened, you have not yet got a job. 

You can communicate with your client in whatever manner you like, but you must make clear to him or her that you will not do any work until the Upwork contract is in place. Your safest option is to insist on tracked hourly contract. If you are not comfortable with this, then fixed-rate with the entire agreed amount paid into escrow before you start.   

mtngigi
Community Member

@mallyc wrote:

Have you read all the available help articles Michael suggested, as well as the wealth of information provided on your account page under the question mark?  Do that first, and then you won't seem like you don't know the process.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths