🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » external references for client
Page options
mcrobbins
Community Member

external references for client

Is it appropriate to offer or provide prior job references to a client if I have no work history on Upwork?

3 REPLIES 3
AndreaG

Hi Michele,

You can use the Employment History, Portfolio, and Testimonial sections in your profile in order to showcase your experience outside of Upwork. I checked your account and it looks like you were able to add some entries to your Employment History.

Your portfolio is where you have the opportunity to impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. You can check out how to add portfolio items here.

Testimonials are a great opportunity to showcase your experiences with clients outside of Upwork. To send a Testimonial request, you can go to that section of your profile, click the + sign and fill the form.

Also, feel free to check out our Resource Corner for some great advice on building your profile like: 

Make Your Freelancer Profile More Visible & Appealing

Enhance Your Freelancer Profile for Greater Success

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
salma_sultani9
Community Member

Hi, My client is asking for a reference from a specific industry, If I provide my previous employer's phone number (what he asked to confirm), So is it a violation on Upwork? PLease guide me

Hi Salma,

Yes, as long as your previous client has given you permission to share their contact details as a reference, this is ok.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths