🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » first time here, made connection with a freel...
Page options
3bb9c0b9
Community Member

first time here, made connection with a freelancer who started, but now he's unresponsive

Hi, this is my first time on Upwork and I put out a listing for a job and started communicating with what seemed like a very responsive freelancer who had the skills to complete my project.

We've had pretty entensive communication on a thread and I'd even provided some files/data so he could more accurately give me a quote for the finished project. There was never a contract agreed to because he would never provide me an actual contract to agree to. Now, the freelancer has now gone almost 10 days with no response to me after repeated attempts on my end to find out if he is willing to take on and finish this job.

I know he has done at least some work on the project because he sent me some screen shots with questions he needed answered. I'm now at the point I need to move on and find another freelancer, but my question is can this guy come back later and ask for payment for work he completed?

I don't know if he just decided he didn't want to do the job after seeing all the details or if something has happened and he's no longer able to respond. What should I do in this case?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you never had an official contract then no, the freelancer can't ask you to pay them. It sounds like you should just hire someone else. And please be aware that you need to send an offer to the freelancer that you want to hire; they can't send you a contract.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
JoanneP

Hi Jennifer,

I'm sorry to hear that. I tried to check, but I am not able to locate a recent contract. Could you please confirm the contract ID you're referring to so I can check this for you? You can find the Contract ID by clicking on the name of the contract and then navigating to the Terms & Settings tab. Thank you! 

~ Joanne
Upwork

If you never had an official contract then no, the freelancer can't ask you to pay them. It sounds like you should just hire someone else. And please be aware that you need to send an offer to the freelancer that you want to hire; they can't send you a contract.

Thank you Christine. No, there was no contract initiated yet. I was providing the info so he could get the full scope of work required and then he's just been unresponsive for nearly 10 days now.

I thought I would be sent a 'bid' of some sort that I would accept, not the other way around. THanks for clarifying.

When a freelancer responds to your project listing, that is their bid. You can discuss and finalise terms using the message board, but then it's still up to the client to send the offer so that the freelancer can officially accept.

Not responsive for ten days and you want to hire him?

There are literally hundreds of other freelancers on this platform who can do this type of work better and who will respond to you within minutes.

No, I do not want to hire him. I'm asking the question because I wanted to know if he has the ability to come back from his 'hiatis'  and claim I owe him any money for the time he spent. I repeatedly asked for a quote but never received it.

re: "No, I do not want to hire him. I'm asking the question because I wanted to know if he has the ability to come back from his 'hiatis'  and claim I owe him any money for the time he spent. I repeatedly asked for a quote but never received it."

No.

He can't do anything.

You don't owe him any money.

Upwork is only interested in official Upwork contracts.

bda4f07b
Community Member

Hi, please I'm also new here. Can't seem to find any jobs. Haven't gotten any offers.

Help please.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths