Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

funded milestones past due

Highlighted
stephen p Member Since: May 23, 2017
1 of 7

Hello,

My developer has informed me of the following:

***BTW, I got an email from Upwork that the project milestone date needs to be adjusted as it is long due and has expired. If we don't do that the project will go dormant and we can't perform activities on this project so please delete the milestone and add again with a new date of 2 months from now.***

I was unable to alter the missed milestone, so I just added a new one 2months from now.  However it is not funded, as the funds are associated with the original, and I do not wish to have trouble with Upwork as my developer and I try to finish up my project.

Could someone shed some light on how best to proceed???

Thanks a lot,

Stephen

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 7

Project milestone deadlines displayed on the contract page are completely meaningless as far as Upwork is concerned.

These dates can be entered by clients when creating milestones. But they function only as text string reminders or notes for the client and freelancer. Upwork does not actually do anything with them.

What matters is how long a fixed-price contract has been in place without having any new milestones created or any work done. THAT is something that Upwork WILL do something about.

If a fixed-price contract is dormant for too long, then Upwork will close it.

If you're not using working with a freelancer on a contract, then just close the contract. That's all you need to do.

If you want to work with the freelancer later, then set up a new contract.

Highlighted
3 of 7

Thanks for the speedy reply ... we ARE a fixed price.  We are not finished with the project so I do not wish to close the contract. So given that our situation "IS something upwork WILL do about it" ... i must ask again what do i do?

I added another milestone, but it is not funded because the funds are with the one we have missed.  I cannot do anything with the missed milestone (delete, alter, nothing)

Still appreciative if someone can tell me what I should do.

Thanks a lot

stephen

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
4 of 7

Hi Stephen,

Adding a new milestone isn't going to "extend" the contract. You'll need to release a payment in order to keep the project active. This can be in the form of a bonus payment if there is some work that's been done but you're not quite ready to release the milestone (even if it's a $1 bonus payment).

Alternatively, you can be refunded the amount in Escrow for the milestone that's overdue and start a new project when you're ready to begin again, as Preston suggests.

Highlighted
5 of 7

Thanks, Garnor...

I just paid him $50 from the escrow, and it asked me why i was paying less.... so i checked the box for "other reasons but my developer was great and still working" ... AND added a new milestone with a $50 payment 2months down the road.

will this keep our job open?

Highlighted
6 of 7

Ok, now Upwork has auto transferred the escrow funds to the new milestone, since i didn't use them up on the old milestone.

So i am reasonably convinced that all is well, now.  I would ask, however, if anyone knows differently, to kindly let me know.

thanks everyone

stephen

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
7 of 7

Yes Stephen, you're all set. Since funds were released the contract will remain active for 90 days, with the clock resetting each time you release any funds.

Untitled