🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » getting paid
Page options
pennyblow
Community Member

getting paid

I was delighted to get my Upwork first job recently. I was invited to put in a proposal for this by a local man. I have completed the work and he is ready to pay me. He wishes to give me a recommendation on the Upwork site. I gave him my mobile number not realising there was a facility to communicate on Upwork being a newbee. How can get this money exchanged through Upwork which I believe is the correct thing to do? I have been on this blasted site all afternoon trying to find out!

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

You are new and you made some mistakes. That's okay! That's normal.

You were never officially hired, correct?

You never clicked the Accept button and you never saw the contract listed on your "My Jobs" page.

Tell the client to click the green "Hire" button next to your name on his screen. Then you can accept his hire offer, and then he can pay you for your work.

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Did you actually receive a contract through Upwork and did you agree to it?  A proposal does not equal a job.

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Penelope,

I checked and it seems that you were never hired for this contract. It's important to note that you should never start working without an active contract, which would show on your My Jobs page. You can share with your client this help article for more information on how to send you an offer.

Additionally, please note that taking communications with a freelancer or client off of Upwork before a contract is in place is against our Terms of Service

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths