🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: help with profile
Page options
zed_ben
Community Member

help with profile

hi, im new to upwork and ive been looking forward to using this website for a while, i finally got around to setting up my account but there is one small problem, im a muslim woman who wears the burqa, so i do not wish to post a picture of my face, is there a way around it? i would love for the community to share my dilema around so that maybe the upwork team may see it. And i really hope the team is understanding and accepting of me, i really would love to work on this website.

thanks in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Samina,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I apologize or the inconvenience this caused. Could you please try again to upload your profile photo with niqab? Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Zed, 

We'll have one a member of the team reach out to you about your question for more information on how you can upload a profile picture. 

~ Avery
Upwork
barada00
Community Member

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Zed, 

We'll have one a member of the team reach out to you about your question for more information on how you can upload a profile picture. 

Avery, can the community also learn how you deal with issues like this? We know Upwork is always trying to be inclusive about customs of different countries. It would be really great if you can share your solution about this.

We have many users who wear garments that may cover their faces because of religious or cultural reasons, like burqas or niqabs and will accept photos with them wearing them. If our system does not auti-recognize a photo during the review, then we escalate it to be manually checked. 

Untitled

Thank you Lena.

thank you, but you might be more accepting than clients, i dont think anyone would accept work from me or hire me with my picture. can i avoid displaying my picture altogether.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Zed, 

I will share this with the team and they should get back to you on the same ticket thread. 

~ Avery
Upwork
barada00
Community Member

Zed B, Clients don't care how you look or what you wear as long as you get the job done. Yes there are people who wouldn't hire because of things like race, religion or nation but they are a small minority and this is something that can also be seen in the brick and mortar world. If your only concern is the way you dress and the religion you belong, you don't need the clients discriminating with those. The only reason you don't get hired might be because you are not good at what you do. If that's not the case then don't worry about it. Don't blame your picture if you're not hired. I had video Skype interviews with clients wearing burqa and those who don't. Send good proposals, do your job 100% and nothing else matters...

Hi Lena

I am new to upwork. I am Muslim and wear niqab to cover my face (which I don't want to take off for profile pic), I am facing problem in uploading image with niqab. Please resolve my issue to be part of this prestigious community.

Thanks

Hi Samina,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I apologize or the inconvenience this caused. Could you please try again to upload your profile photo with niqab? Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thanks Bojan, It worked.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths