🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: hiding a conversation
Page options
orcio
Community Member

hiding a conversation

What happens when I click on hide on a contact/conversation in a message board?

Can this person write to me again? How can I find this conversation?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Horacio,

Both you and the other party can still send messages in the message room. Yes, the person can write to you again. If the other party writes to you and the conversation is hidden, the conversation will appear again. You can find all the conversations by clicking to 'Show Rooms By Category' and selecting 'All People & Rooms' as shown in the screenshot here. On that page, you can find all the conversations even if they are hidden.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Horacio, 

If you have blocked a client or freelancer through your Messages page, and you wish to send them a message again, you can look them up on the search field of your Messages page, and unblock them by clicking on the button beside the "Search this conversation" field. 

Let me know if you have other questions. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 1.04.51 PM.png

~ Avery
Upwork
orcio
Community Member

I was talking about this option (see pic)

hide2.PNG

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Horacio,

Both you and the other party can still send messages in the message room. Yes, the person can write to you again. If the other party writes to you and the conversation is hidden, the conversation will appear again. You can find all the conversations by clicking to 'Show Rooms By Category' and selecting 'All People & Rooms' as shown in the screenshot here. On that page, you can find all the conversations even if they are hidden.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thanks for the clarification Aleksandar. A related question: what happens when I archive a message? Will I be notified if there is a new message?

Thanks again

Hi Cary,

Unlike hidden rooms that reappear when somebody sends a new message in them, archived rooms won't have new messages in them because participants won't be able to send any new messages in them. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K. wrote:

Hi Cary,

Unlike hidden rooms that reappear when somebody sends a new message in them, archived rooms won't have new messages in them because participants won't be able to send any new messages in them. 

Valeria,

Is there a way to archive rooms now? If so, how?

Hi Virginia,

It's not possible to archive a room for an active contract. An interview room will be archived if the participants block each other. A user can, however, archive a group room they created and are an owner of. There will be an option under the menu in the right upper corner:

Screenshot_3.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Virginia,

It's not possible to archive a room for an active contract. An interview room will be archived if the participants block each other. A user can, however, archive a group room they created and are an owner of. There will be an option under the menu in the right upper corner:

Screenshot_3.png

So to clarify ... that would mean I'd have to contact clients whose interviews with me didn't result in a job (and probably never will), and ask them to archive the room? I should think that might annoy a lot of clients.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the owner of any of these rooms, though now I will go through them all to see if there are any I can get out of the way. I really hope Upwork will come up with a better way to get rid of these message rooms that serve no purpose.

ETA: Simply put, it would be nice to have the option to archive ancient, old, never-went-anywhere interview rooms so they are filed away. I know I speak for many freelancers who would like to see this feature added.

Closed contracts with repeat clients cause a lot of confusion - I just recently went through that with two repeat clients. They both kept posting questions and uploading files to a message room/job that was already finished and closed, and not the new one we were working on - I made the mistake myself a few times. Things kept falling through the cracks.

Once a job is done, we should be able to archive that message room as well.

How hard can it be to add these functions. We can archived proposals, and active candidacies ... the message rooms is where this feature is needed most.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths