🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: hiring multiple freelancers
Page options
703cfc18
Community Member

hiring multiple freelancers

This is the first time I am using Upwork and I wanted to have a few freelancers send me designs for my logo and I already hired one. How does that work if I want to accept other proposals but have a limited budget

5 REPLIES 5
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Patricia F wrote:

This is the first time I am using Upwork and I wanted to have a few freelancers send me designs for my logo and I already hired one. How does that work if I want to accept other proposals but have a limited budget

You can hire as many people as you like if they agree to your terms. What you can't do is ask for free work, or promise somebody to hire them "if you like their work" but then never do, but still use their work. Not saying that this is your plan, but many clients are trying that stuff. Asking for free work can get you suspended. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Patricia, one of the best ways to save money is to hire multiple freelancers.

Logo design is a great opportunity for saving money by hiring multiple people.

For example, you could hire ten people to send you logo design sketches or concepts, while paying a relatively small amount to each of them, for a relatively small amount of work.

Then you could pick the designs and elements you like best, and hire a single artist to create the final version you.

Preston H wrote:

Patricia, one of the best ways to save money is to hire multiple freelancers.

Logo design is a great opportunity for saving money by hiring multiple people.

For example, you could hire ten people to send you logo design sketches or concepts, while paying a relatively small amount to each of them, for a relatively small amount of work.

Then you could pick the designs and elements you like best, and hire a single artist to create the final version you.

I suppose if you're got, say, a $200 budget, then you COULD hire 10 logo designers, but the problem is that good logo designers usually can't be hired for $20! I would advise carefully vetting the applicants and hiring one good designer who will work with you to understand your brand and target market and present thoughtful, original ideas for you to choose from, instead of hiring 10 inexperienced newbies who will dash off random designs (or send you slightly altered clipart) until you see something you like. Your choice, though.

I think Christine's suggestion is an excellent way to go.

For many clients, what Chistine suggests - hiring only one highly qualified person - is EXACTLY what the client should do.

There are two major reasons why a client would NOT use that method.

One: it requires time and effort on the client's part to review freelancers and proposals and portfolios.

If you have the time and interest, then by all means, vet candidates and carefully make a selection.

But if you don't want to do that, then a shotgun approach allows you to spend less time picking people.

Also. if you only hire one person, no matter how good they are, then you only see one person's ideas. For most things, I think that is fine. I don't need to see multiple people's ideas for writing the copy for a single advertisement that will run once for my Memorial Day sale.

But a company logo? That is very important. So if this a serious company, then I would want to either work with a very high-end (expensive) professional.

This is too important an element of my business to leave to one low-paid logo designer.

So hiring ten people to provide ideas, that I choose from as a client, would probably be less expensive than hiring one top-level pro.

Of course,if you can afford it, hire multiple high-priced professionals, work with each independently, and then choose your favorite from the options they provide to you.

mtngigi
Community Member

Patricia F wrote:

You can specify in your job post that you want to hire X number of freelancers. You can also state your budget and the level of expertise you're looking for. You can request that freelancers attach samples of previous work to their bids, and you can also look at a designer's portfolion to see the kind of work they do to determine if you like someone's style - that is the purpose of portfolios.

As has been stated, what you can't do is ask for free work. Post a job with the budget you have and you will get bids.

Unlike a few other sites, Upwork does not support a "contest" model. Freelancers need to be paid for their work, whether that work is a "test" job, or the real thing.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths