🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » honest question
Page options
matteosalviato
Community Member

honest question

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum a lot in the past week and I refined my profile as much I could. 
You probably read hundreds of questions like this, but I'm asking because I feel stuck in this situation. 

The famous "first job on Upwork" Is it really a matter of skills? A matter of being the first to send the proposal or it's a matter of tailoring the proposal to the client in an honest way? (which is what I keep doing). 

I know that probably all these elements combined together are "the recipe" for getting a job, but I'm still struggling.

hope I didn't bore you with this question,

have a great day! 

all the best, 

Matteo  

4 REPLIES 4
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Matteo S wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum a lot in the past week and I refined my profile as much I could. 
You probably read hundreds of questions like this, but I'm asking because I feel stuck in this situation. 

The famous "first job on Upwork" Is it really a matter of skills? A matter of being the first to send the proposal or it's a matter of tailoring the proposal to the client in an honest way? (which is what I keep doing). 

I know that probably all these elements combined together are "the recipe" for getting a job, but I'm still struggling.

hope I didn't bore you with this question,

have a great day! 

all the best, 

Matteo  

Plus luck, coincidence, and who knows what else. There a thousands of clients on upwork, and they come in all shapes and sizes. 

The only thing you can do is write great proposals that get the client's attention and makes him think that you are the right person for the job. 

ahmetsamsa
Community Member

I had this same problem too when  I registered upwork 3 years ago. I applied  some job and didn't get any feedback. After that, I give up and didn't check upwork until last month. In April 2019 I tired again my chance on upwork.
My first client was nice lady, spesifically choose me because I didn't have any job done so she wanted to help me. So in my case it was luck I guess.
After this job I fnished  some another jobs on upwork.
My advice choose a single skill and apply jobs that are suits that skill best.
For me is Adobe InDesign. 
I daily, or hourly check upwork for jobs that require InDesign especially and apply to them.
I don't put my rate too high or too low and don't apply jobs that have more than 10 proposals.
My english is not good enouh so I can't write fancy proposals but I usually tell the clients that I have experience you need and I could finish and deliver job in same day and won't charge  more than x amoun even if takes longer.
This method worked for me last month, I managed to get 4 clients and earh 500$, also still waiting some answer from some other clients that promised me to work with me. 

I hope you find your first job in no time then the rest  is easy.

kc_subodh
Community Member

Matteo

Trust is one of the factors a client needs. Trust that the work will be taken care of. 
And it is hard to make people read portfolio. But video they might click and it will be like a short intro of yourself.
I have tried with including a short intro video of myself in my profile. Hoping that might help gain some trust.
few more tips;

personal portfolio website to showcase your skill.
join an agency. 

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Welcome Matteo.

You've got a nice profile and also great experience. I did notice that you have your availability set low. I would change it to "Open to Offers" so you get some invitations. (Just watch out for the scammers that prey on new people.) 

Keep putting it out there professionally and something will come through. 

Best of luck to you! 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths