🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: hourly project- over limited time
Page options
kateshoshia
Community Member

hourly project- over limited time

Hello, I over limited my weekly time with 2 more hours, can my client see it on my working diary? or should I tell him about it one more time? I've already mentioned it, but not sure if he saw it, so I am interested when he reviews my work, can he see it in my diary?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
browersr
Community Member

The tracker is not going to bill for time that exceeds the weekly limit set by the client. If you need to exceed the time set, you will either have to enter "manual time", which is only allowed if the client set that as an option (and will not be protected by UW), or ask the client ahead of time to extend the weekly max limit. If you have exceeded the allowed time and there is no manual time, then you worked for free. Of course you can and should alert the client who may enable manual time or perhaps will add this extra time as a bonus. However, that is entirely on the client. In the future you best bet is to get the client to add to max time so that this is covered by the tracker and by UW payment protection. Otherwise stop when max time is hit and alert the client that he can either up the limit or await the following week when time resets. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Ketevan S wrote:

Hello, I over limited my weekly time with 2 more hours, can my client see it on my working diary? or should I tell him about it one more time? I've already mentioned it, but not sure if he saw it, so I am interested when he reviews my work, can he see it in my diary?

If you want to get paid for that time, seeing it is not enough. You have to discuss with your client if he is willing to pay for this extra time, and how,

browersr
Community Member

The tracker is not going to bill for time that exceeds the weekly limit set by the client. If you need to exceed the time set, you will either have to enter "manual time", which is only allowed if the client set that as an option (and will not be protected by UW), or ask the client ahead of time to extend the weekly max limit. If you have exceeded the allowed time and there is no manual time, then you worked for free. Of course you can and should alert the client who may enable manual time or perhaps will add this extra time as a bonus. However, that is entirely on the client. In the future you best bet is to get the client to add to max time so that this is covered by the tracker and by UW payment protection. Otherwise stop when max time is hit and alert the client that he can either up the limit or await the following week when time resets. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Can he see it? Yes.

If he looks.

Don't assume that your client will look at your work diary. I think most clients don't look at work diaries. I could be wrong, but whatever the actual percentage is, understand that is not required for them to look.

Preston H wrote:

Can he see it? Yes.

If he looks.

Don't assume that your client will look at your work diary. I think most clients don't look at work diaries. I could be wrong, but whatever the actual percentage is, understand that is not required for them to look.

Our worlds collide again, Preston. I do spot check the work diary.  🙂 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths