cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: how much work should I put into a project for $4? Im new.

Highlighted
Lawrence M Member Since: Apr 16, 2017
1 of 10

Im new. I got my frist assignment. I worked on it for most of a day, doing more than was required. What happened is some of the writing did not pass copywrite scape. Also, I did not supply links, and I was apperently supposed to.

I did write twice as many words as requested. I think I was under the impression that the final recipient of the blog would arrange the info as they wanted to their blog. I guess I misunderstood this.

I guess Im just sort of frustrated as to how much work was going to go into a $6 article, where I only recieve $4. I realize there is a learning curve, and things will get better. Im just wondering how much work I am supposed to put into $4, or if I am just being taken advantage of? Does this get better after I get the hang of it, or do I work here for 50 cents an hour? What are other freelancer's experience with UpWork? I(I spent lots of time browsing the forum before joining)

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 10

Larry, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish as a freelancer, I think. If freelancing's a hobby for you, then I suppose you can work almost a full day for $4. But if your serious about your stated $18/hr rate, then you should think twice about taking on $6 an article jobs, unless you can crank them out in 20 minutes. On the bright side, if the budget was $6, then you'll actually make $4.80 after the 20% fee, not $4.

3 of 10

Yea, I went overboard on how much work I put into it. And yes, I will score $4.80. I was just wondering if it is necessary to do $6 jobs in order to get 5+ ratings so other people will hire me for bigger jobs. I was just wondering what other peoples experience when they were a novice.

No, it not really a 'hobby' I want to make money. I do a little magazine article writing (for money) I am hoping UpWork is something I can do while traveling to make extra cash. But, ya know, more than $4.80.

I mostly want others input about if it gets better as I do it. But Im not ready to give up yet: I just started.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 10

Now we're talking. The client did fund the milestone right, modest though it may be? I'd hate for you to not get anything out of this. And from what you described, don't expect a glowing review from the client so you won't be disappointed, despite all the elbow grease you've applied, because chances are, the client isn't any more generous in spirit than he is with his pocketbook. 

Maybe in some sense it's easier to start out as a developer, my niche, rather than as a writer, because an article is an article, so if you do too many at bargain rates, clients who get your proposal may expect similar rates, whereas with a development job, normally only you & the client know how much work was entailed, so I did indeed do a number of small jobs at pretty modest prices when I was trying to establish a rep. So it would be inconsistent for me to dissuade you from this tactic, but it's definitely not a viable long term strategy.

Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 10

It's never a good idea to establish yourself as a cheap freelancer ... that record on your profile will forever chase away decent clients and attract nothing but cheap clients, to the detriment of your career. It's a mistake many freelancers make, thinking it's good just to get a few jobs in their profile. It's not.

Chalk this one up as lesson learned, and start finding and bidding on jobs that will pay what you'd like to earn. It may take longer, but will pay off to your freelancing career in the end.

Also, you should edit and mark your English as "Native/Bilingual".

BEST ANSWER
6 of 10

Yes, thank you. That makes complete sense. Dont get started as a $6 writer if I dont want to be one. OK, Ill bid on some bigger jobs next, and chalk that up to experience.

What is 'Native/Bilingual'? I only speak English. Fluently. I was born in America.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 10

Larry, in Upwork terminology, 'Fluent' denotes "I have complete command of this language with perfect grammar" whereas 'Native/Bilingual' denotes 'I have complete command of this language, including breadth of vocabulary, idioms, and colloquialisms', so you're most probably 'native', assuming you've acquired idioms like 'does a bear **** in the woods', and so forth, not to mention your use of phrases like 'learning curve' and 'get the hang of'.

8 of 10

Yes, I changed it to native/bilingual. I was born in America and only speak Americanized English. Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
9 of 10

@Larry M wrote:

Im new. I got my frist assignment. I worked on it for most of a day, doing more than was required. What happened is some of the writing did not pass copywrite scape. Also, I did not supply links, and I was apperently supposed to.

I did write twice as many words as requested. I think I was under the impression that the final recipient of the blog would arrange the info as they wanted to their blog. I guess I misunderstood this.

To answer your question. You put as much effort into a $4 job as any other job. If your skills are only worth $4, then that's all you can put in. I don't mean to be harsh, but I guess you did a $4 job because you copied text and it didn't pass copyscape. You didn't supply links. and you were supposed to. And I don't understand where you state that the client would arrange the info as they wanted to. Does that mean you gave them a bunch of copied words and through they would piece it all together for their blog? That's certainly a $4 job.

I guess Im just sort of frustrated as to how much work was going to go into a $6 article, where I only recieve $4. I realize there is a learning curve, and things will get better. Im just wondering how much work I am supposed to put into $4, or if I am just being taken advantage of?

I guess you put as much effort into that $4 job as you possible can depending on your skills and qualifications.

Does this get better after I get the hang of it, or do I work here for 50 cents an hour? What are other freelancer's experience with UpWork? I(I spent lots of time browsing the forum before joining)

It all depends on what jobs you submit proposals for, that you're qualificed to do and to do professionally and to the best of your ability. So, if you bid on jobs for 50 cents an hour, then no, it's not going to get better at all.

MY experience is that I bid on what I feel I am worth. I also take into consideration the years and hard work it took to achieve the experience I have.

Highlighted
10 of 10

OK, thank you. Im new, but learning.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS