cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to provide a quote for the work based on my hourly rate

Highlighted
Fumiko S Member Since: Jul 29, 2017
1 of 5
Hi all, I am a freelancer who is new to Up work. My client asks me to provide a quote for the work based on my hourly rate But I have no idea on this implementation in this app. Pls advise me on what to do & Thank you,
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 5

Just tell the client that you anticipate the work taking between X and X hours, and that this would work out at approximately $ XXX.XX to $ XXX.XX (X to X hours times your hourly rate)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 5

Fumiko:

I estimate how long it will take me to do a task.

Then I multiply that my by hourly rate.

Then I double that number.

That is my fixed-price quote.

I tell the clients how I calculate this, and I let them choose between an hourly or fixed-price contract.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Manveen M Member Since: Jul 10, 2019
4 of 5

Hi Preston,

In the same context, I have been asked to give a quote on a web content writing project.
The heads to be written are unclear.
Also I'm not sure if the quote should be rendered on hourly basis or fixed-price (pardon the naviety but this is my second job on Upwork).

What would you recommend I do?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 5

re: "The heads to be written are unclear. Also I'm not sure if the quote should be rendered on hourly basis or fixed-price..."

If something is unclear, then it is not a fixed-price contract.

You may accept an hourly contract when something is unclear.

Part of the time you will will be working with the client to help clarify what her needs are.

You will bill time while interviewing the client, asking questions, suggesting ways that she can clarify her heads, etc.