🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: injustice
Page options
natazivulovic
Community Member

injustice

Hi everyone, I am new to Upwork, I recently did my first "pay by the hour"contract so I didn't know I have to use the time tracker:(

I sent my work to the client, she was very pleased with it and than she did not pay...Now she is gone with my work and I didn't use the working diary.

Does anybody know what can I do in this situation? I have screenshots of our messages as proof 😞 I don't know who to complain, the Upwork sent me a messege that I had low activity on my working diary, which is true, cause I didn't use it as I was supposed to, but how can i explain that to them.

**Edited for community guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Natalija Z wrote:
😞 thank you Preston,that means a lot.

Natalija,

I strongly suggest you learn about how Upwork operates before  applying for any more jobs. Have a look here and read all the the links in this thread and all the help pages. https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/td-p/264214

That said, as you were not paid for the work you have done, you can contact the client and tell them that unless you are paid, your work still belongs completely to you. So you can use it as a portfolio piece or sell it to someone else. If you see it on the internet or as an actual project, you can take steps to have it removed. 

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
petra_r
Community Member

Natalija Z wrote:

Hi everyone, I am new to Upwork, I recently did my first "pay by the hour"contract so I didn't know I have to use the time tracker:(

Next time you'll know.

This time was an expensive lesson.

But isn't there a way someone from the Upwork custom servise can go through the messages? ohhh this is so unfair 

Natalija Z wrote:

But isn't there a way someone from the Upwork custom servise can go through the messages?

no

Natalija:

Don't be so hard on yourself.
You made a mistake.

People make mistakes.

You learn from your mistakes, and you move on.

Natalija Z wrote:

Natalija,

I strongly suggest you learn about how Upwork operates before  applying for any more jobs. Have a look here and read all the the links in this thread and all the help pages. https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/td-p/264214

That said, as you were not paid for the work you have done, you can contact the client and tell them that unless you are paid, your work still belongs completely to you. So you can use it as a portfolio piece or sell it to someone else. If you see it on the internet or as an actual project, you can take steps to have it removed. 

Good point,thank you for your advise. I was so excited to finally get the job on Upwork I didn't pay attantaion to the billing method, only to get the work done on time and good. What a mistake..I will deffinitely pay attantion more on the money in the future.

Natalija Z wrote:
Good point,thank you for your advise. I was so excited to finally get the job on Upwork I didn't pay attantaion to the billing method, only to get the work done on time and good. What a mistake..I will deffinitely pay attantion more on the money in the future.

It is a beginner's mistake. Excitement beats rational thinking. Next time you will be more careful and look out for more things, such as never accepting an offer before you have the file(s or whatever) you need to start working, because that will be bad for your rating in the long run.

Deffinitely:/ Thank you Martina.

Note to new freelancers: invest an hour into learning the rules before you start work here.

Back when I joined Upwork in 2011, we had to take a "readiness" test that ensured that we understood how the system works. That required downloading the Team App and studying it. We had to get 100% on the test before we were allowed to start work. Unfortunately, when I googled the "upwork freelancer readiness test" today, I got all this garbage - which is definitely NOT helping new freelancers to survive here:

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 4.42.49 PM.png

As much content that gets pushed out, on one side you got Upwork's stuff that is just the basics and doesn't really prepare you for the dark side of this place, and on the other side you got stupid losers (not the person who posted the videos btw) posting YouTube content that is not only terrible but can get freelancer accounts killed.

the only place to really understand things is this place and the reddit sub. You get the best of both worlds. Reddit sub allows you to talk about the dark side and frauds and all that, and then this place gives you the technical side of things.

I just can't believe that nobody from the upwork team could go through the messages I exchanged with my client who ran away and see that I really did my work and that she was over the moon when she saw it. They were only interested in the working diary..that is my mistake, I admite it, but they should be more opened about it, for the sake of people working on the platform..

re: "I just can't believe that nobody from the upwork team could go through the messages I exchanged with my client who ran away and see that I really did my work and that she was over the moon when she saw it."

Believe it.

That is not how this works.

Upwork does not spend their time and resources to read through the messages of freelancers who completely disregard their procedures and rules. If they were to actually go through your messages, maybe they would feel like they need to suspend your account due to your violations of Upwork procedures.

yes, yes thank you Preston for your kind words.

I totally agree with you, maybe not a test, but deffenitely a text or a page with each term explained. 

Martina P wrote:

It is a beginner's mistake. Excitement beats rational thinking. Next time you will be more careful and look out for more things, such as never accepting an offer before you have the file(s or whatever) you need to start working, because that will be bad for your rating in the long run.

How will this have a negative impact on the rating?

Horacio C wrote:

Martina P wrote:

How will this have a negative impact on the rating?

Let's say the client makes an offer, you accept, and you then have an active contract. But the client has not yet provided what you need to begin work--files, instructions, etc. You can't start until they provide that, and they disappear. Makes no sense but it happens all the time. A contract with no money ever paid on it is a negative element in your JSS calculation.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths