🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » is it OK for client to use Paypal for cost of...
Page options
dean_miller
Community Member

is it OK for client to use Paypal for cost of goods/materials.

Hi,

I'm new to Upwork. I submitted a proposal for a job posting. I received a message from the client. I responded back to him and now he has sent me an offer. It is a small simple job. I need to purchase a product to complete the job. He is to pay for it and wants to send me the funds prior to purchase using Paypal. He states:

"On your end, send me your ppal email and I’ll forward to you the cost of goods near your purchase date. I can also use upwork, however upwork says its fine to use ppal for cost of goods/materials."

Is this true? I have searched for the answer and it seems to be true as long as we have a contract in force. 

But, I don't want to break any rules. 

Thanks,

Dean

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

well - paying for the product via Upwork means product will cost 20% more - so that's why he  wants to pay it via paypal (or doesn't want to pay - I guess that remains to be seen)

trick is - you need to be paid through upwork system for everything...because UW doesn't want to lose 20%

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
m_sharman
Community Member

Nope, it's not ok and it's likely a scam.

jojomo
Community Member

Dean,

That sounds like a scam!!! Don't do it.

yitwail
Community Member

If a client wants to use PayPal they can order the product with PayPal and have it delivered to you, but paying you directly through PayPal violates TOS.

Dean M wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to Upwork. I submitted a proposal for a job posting. I received a message from the client. I responded back to him and now he has sent me an offer. It is a small simple job. I need to purchase a product to complete the job. He is to pay for it and wants to send me the funds prior to purchase using Paypal. He states:

"On your end, send me your ppal email and I’ll forward to you the cost of goods near your purchase date. I can also use upwork, however upwork says its fine to use ppal for cost of goods/materials."

Is this true? I have searched for the answer and it seems to be true as long as we have a contract in force. 

But, I don't want to break any rules. 

Thanks,

Dean

Dean, 
the  "client" is not a client at all - and he will probably inform you that he has difficulties with paypal and will send you a check instead (of course he will - but the check will be  false)
So - no purchases for clients - they can purchase the stuff themselves. No cashing checks. No software purchases "for training" . And avoid google hangout chats with HR representatives of well established  companies. Those are all very well know frauds, targeting new freelancers.

Oh, and welcome to Upwork and good luck 😉
lysis10
Community Member

The "youse about to get scammed" is now a meme on Upwork.

dean_miller
Community Member

Thanks, everybody for your replies. I reread my post and I see that I may have left out a few pertinent details:

1. He has sent me an offer. So it seems that the pay will be through UpWork.

2. He has about 70 reviews, with a nearly 5-star review.

3. He has over 100 hires.

4. He has the best part of 1000 hours billed.

I don't quite understand him wanting to pay me through Paypal for ordering the product, but as long as his payment comes through before I order I don't see the problem. As long it's not against the ToS, obviously. It's not a big paying job, but I can use the review. 

He seems to be a stand-up guy. Am I missing something? 

Does this change anything?

Thanks again,

Dean

well - paying for the product via Upwork means product will cost 20% more - so that's why he  wants to pay it via paypal (or doesn't want to pay - I guess that remains to be seen)

trick is - you need to be paid through upwork system for everything...because UW doesn't want to lose 20%

This is a fascinating thread, especially given the additional details shared by the original poster.

Maybe, as the original poster states, this client really is a straight shooter when it comes to how he deals with freelancers.

For me, it just DOES NOT MATTER. For me, there no wiggle room when it comes to Upwork's rule against accepting money off platform. So the offer to send me money via PayPal? No way,

I would not rule out working with someone who made such an offer. But I would require them to send me money via Upwork ONLY, or I would require them to send me the product directly.

There is no scenario in which I let a client send me money via PayPal. And after being here over five years there has never once been any time where I have seen Upwork say that something like that is okay.

Thanks Preston, 

That is exactly what I told him in the message I sent back to him.

We'll see where it goes from here.

Dean

It's quite easy to purchase something online, and have it sent to someone else ...

Dean,  I am going to take a wild guess.... Considering what you do I am a bit at a loss why the client would have to send you a product unless it is for purposes of writing a review. In that case they want to send you the money rather than order it themselves because they want it to appear as a verified purchase.

If that's the case and the idea is for you to write an Amazon review, please do not accept the contract and run the other way. Not only is it against Amazon's and Upwork's terms of service (and Amazon have sued over 1000 freelancers thus far) - it is also utterly unethical.

kat303
Community Member

Dean - If the client wants to pay you using payPal, I see no reason why he can't use PayPal to pay you as long as he conducts that financial transaction here on this site using escrow.  If you accept ANY type of payment off platform your account here will be suspended.

And as everyone has said, He can use Paypal to pay for the item and have it shipped directly to you.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths