Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it genuine or scam?

Community Guru
Eric B Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
1 of 11

Hi, 

Is the following message genuine or is it scam?

here is the message: 

Hello ,

Thanks for getting started on Upwork! There’s one last step you need to complete before you proceed - we need to meet you via a quick video chat in the next week. We occasionally find fraudulent profiles on Upwork and this step helps us verify your identity, keeping our community safe and secure.

The call should take less than five minutes and during it one of our team members will ask you a few questions about the information in your profile. A temporary hold has been placed on your account wherein you will not be able to submit new applications or change your profile photo - all other functionality remains. Your account will be fully resumed upon successful profile verification. Please respond within a week to avoid further restrictions.

To complete the required video call, please do the following;

1) log into your Upwork account (www.upwork.com/login)
2) Navigate to support.upwork.com/hc
3) Click the “Profile Verification” button located at the bottom of the page

( click here to see a screenshot : http://prnt.sc/e48pih )

If you are unable to see the button, please be aware you may need to sign out of your account and sign back in.

One of our team members will walk you through the process. Please note: If all of our agents are busy when you attempt to chat, please try again later.

Thanks in advance for helping to keep Upwork a secure place. See our forum post on this topic here: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Testing-video-chat-profile-verification/td-p/257712. Should you have any questions or need further assistance, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Regards,
Froi
(Upwork Trust and Safety)

Thank you

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 11

legit

Community Guru
3 of 11

Well, it's good to know!

Thank you.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 11

Hi Eric,

Yes, Upwork team sent you that message to notify you about video verification you need to complete. Please, follow the link they provided in the notification to access the button to verify your profile.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
5 of 11

Thank you, Valeria. 

Is it because I'm about to get my first job?

6 of 11

Eric,

No, the request isn't related to your bidding or interviewing activity. Users are randomly selected for profile verification and in the future we are planning to get all freelancers verified.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Holly A Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
7 of 11

If we were previously verified through Elance, will we be required to 'do it again'?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 11

@Holly A wrote:

If we were previously verified through Elance, will we be required to 'do it again'?

I asked this and the answer is yes.

Community Guru
9 of 11

Thank you, Valeria. So, I won a prize. 

May I ask what type of verification this is? it's pure curiosity as I am who I say I am but it would be great to know. 

Thanks again.

10 of 11

Eric,

You'll need to video chat with an agent and answer a few simple questions to verify that the information on your profile is accurate. Check out the announcement post by Garnor for more information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS