Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my profile

Highlighted
Francesco O Member Since: Jan 14, 2017
1 of 15

Hi,

what are the criteria for which a profile is approved or not?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Claudia B Member Since: Jan 12, 2017
2 of 15

Just make it nice, so the mods would like it.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 15

Hi Francesco,

To make sure your profile is approved, complete it 100% and clearly describe your skills, experience and what kind of services you are going to offer to clients on Upwork. Check your profile for grammar, punctuation and spelling errors and use full sentences. Check this tutorial video for more tips on creating your profile.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
4 of 15

IMO somebody who starts with a fake profile on this platform should be banned permanently. What can clients expect from such a person besides fraud?

Highlighted
Francesco O Member Since: Jan 14, 2017
5 of 15

Hi,

Can you say me if my profile has been approved?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 15

It is for Upwork to say whether or not your profile has been approved. It would surprise me if it had been.

I think you need to be honest about your skills and your education. You should not claim to be a translator when it is clear that you don't even reach first base on this skill.  You are honest about your English, which is conversational at best. If your second language is "conversational", you have a long way to go before becoming a bona fide translator.

Your portfolio does not make sense neither  does your "other experiences" entry.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 15

Nichola, I have seen translators with poor written skills in their source language being successful. One in particular who posts here every now and then, with a shaky English, has a fairly successful profile, even though very cheap if you ask me.

I have spoken with F to E translators who are struggling with written and spoken French, but who still demonstrate excellent translation skills. I'm the first one to raise an eyebrow when I see translators having a hard time expressing themselves in their source language but I honestly don't know how much influence it has on one's translation skills.

I would love to hear opinion from others on this...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 15

To Francesco's credit... on his profile page, only claims "conversational" level skill in English. And he clearly has demonstrated that he has at least conversational English skill. He doesn't claim to be fluent.

And he does not claim to translate into English. His profile specifically and clearly indicates that he is only offering to translate English into Italian.

So on these points, he exhibits a great deal more understanding and honesty than many would-be translators we see pop up in the Forum asking for help.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 15

@Rene K wrote:

Nichola, I have seen translators with poor written skills in their source language being successful. One in particular who posts here every now and then, with a shaky English, has a fairly successful profile, even though very cheap if you ask me.

I have spoken with F to E translators who are struggling with written and spoken French, but who still demonstrate excellent translation skills. I'm the first one to raise an eyebrow when I see translators having a hard time expressing themselves in their source language but I honestly don't know how much influence it has on one's translation skills.

I would love to hear opinion from others on this...

René, I think these days it is so easy to dissemble. Are the excellent skills really due to the strugglers' own work?

However, I agree up to a point. I do think that some translators can be absolutely competent in a source (even target) language without being able to speak it fluently, but who can understand it fluently enough to translate.  But competence (IMO) is not enough when it comes to translating fiction for example, or an academic essay or dissertation. 

A famous example is a recent bestselling Swedish novel, which in English sank without trace before it was retranslated with stellar results.

Highlighted
10 of 15

@Nichola L wrote:

It is for Upwork to say whether or not your profile has been approved. It would surprise me if it had been.

I think you need to be honest about your skills and your education. You should not claim to be a translator when it is clear that you don't even reach first base on this skill.  You are honest about your English, which is conversational at best. If your second language is "conversational", you have a long way to go before becoming a bona fide translator.

Your portfolio does not make sense neither  does your "other experiences" entry.

This profile has been approved already! He can be hired. English conversational and 1st place translation English into Italian, really? Not much information on his profile. And at least another person with another name uses the same photo on an Italian dating website. Who is who? Who is the real one? Maybe none of them. At least, the quality team should check the profile photos at first.