🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » new to Updesk wanted to know which platforms ...
Page options
bperez1968
Community Member

new to Updesk wanted to know which platforms are use for interviews?

I just lost an hour interviewing with a scammer. Please, can someone tell me what platforms are interviews usually conducted?

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Google Hangouts is used by scammers

If you are new and uncertain, then simply communicate using the Upwork Messages tool.

If you have questions, come here the Forum and talk to us. The people here can help you avoid any scams.

robin_hyman
Community Member

Beatriz P wrote:

I just lost an hour interviewing with a scammer. Please, can someone tell me what platforms are interviews usually conducted?

Please change your profile picture.  It is distorted and frankly scary.  

I've read multiple posts about the Google Hangouts conversations as scammers so that's a red flag immediately.  It's fine to communicate via Upwork messaging (this is safest), Skype, and phone call.  Once in a while I'll have a client asking to connect via Zoom.  

Read these forums carefully for updates and keep a lookout for questions you're asked that seem odd.  Never provide personal information such as mailing address or bank account. 

Work smart!

louisaj
Community Member

Upwork provides a messaging system for all interviews, which I've used in all of my awarded jobs.

When the prospective client contacts you, just reply in that message thread until you have convinced the client to hire you. Then the job carries on in that message thread with an offer, which you accept, and then any discussion during the job is also typed into the thread. 

Documents will usually be attached in that message thread, but sometimes they are large files and Dropbox is a great way of sharing your files. 

However, some clients may want to speak to you face-to-face and therefore Skype is usually used. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, Beatriz!

Thanks for flagging this for us. I've checked and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths