🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » no response to proposals
Page options
saraelashmawy
Community Member

no response to proposals

Greetings ,

I am new to upwork and my problem is proposals . i have propsed to 9 jobs so far and i don't get any feedback . is there anyway to know if i got accepted or rejected ?

How long does it take the client to response usually ? i need to know not to submit too many proposal at the same time and become over whelmed if i got accepted in all of them .

how to increase my chances to get offers and invitations ?

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
jmlaidlaw
Community Member

(1) Nine proposals is very few. Do not judge any acceptance rates/prospects on just nine proposals.

(2) Don't worry about being overwhelmed with work before you have ANY work. That is a happy problem for much later on.

(3) Please be sure to set your language level accurately, Your English level has currently been accidentally set at "Native/Bilingual," which is clearly not accurate. I would suggest "Conversational."

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sara,

Please review these resources, in which you'll find answers to the questions you posted and a lot more other useful information about using Upwork. 

1. is there anyway to know if i got accepted or rejected ?

If a client reviews and responds to your proposal, you'll receive a notification and the proposal will move under Invitations to Interview section on your Proposals page. This doesn't mean you're hired and you'll find the subsequent steps in the resources above.

If your proposal is rejected (clients can also not take action on your proposal), you'll also receive a notification.

2. How long does it take the client to response usually ?
There isn't a set time frame and it varies from client to client.

3. i need to know not to submit too many proposal at the same time and become over whelmed if i got accepted in all of them .

As mentioned above, if a client responds to your proposal you're not yet hired and can manage those interviews as in selecting the jobs you'd like to pursue further on your own accord.

4. how to increase my chances to get offers and invitations ?

You'll find great advise in the freelancer resources shared above, good luck!

~ Vladimir
Upwork
netdiatom
Community Member

I have submitted 100 proposals and landed 1 job on my first day. Now I am about a week into using the platform and am now a Rising Talent star because I have one 5 star review and meet the other rising star criteria. I still have 94 unanswered proposals and am open for 6 open candidacies. I hope the platform can help me supplement some income but so far it has not been worth the time.  

<marquee> SUBMITTED 100 PROPOSALS/ Accepted 1/ Candidate for 6 <marquee/>

SUBMITTED 100 PROPOSALS/ Accepted 1/ Candidate for 6!

wow!

That's a lot of investment for a mediocre return. I would love to know how did it went for you after almost a year? Did you make it?

I just started too and I find it very difficult for a beginner, most of the job proposal are unanswered for weeks. Clients seem to posts jobs without hiring and +90% of connects are just wasted.

Do you recived a notification when the client hired someone?

Honore B wrote:

I just started too and I find it very difficult for a beginner

It is tough when first starting out, and the economic fallout from COVID-19 has made this a particularly bad time to be a new freelancer trying to establish yourself.

Do you recived a notification when the client hired someone?

You don't receive a notification, but if you really want to see you can view your proposal (whether active or archived) and click through to the original job posting. From there you can see how many hires (if any) the client made.

I’m glad I’m not alone. I have used Upwork for a couple of months. I’ve sent hundreds of proposals, and even landed several calls to discuss.

Yet after all this, I have only closed one project, which I underbid, hoping this would make an impact.

From what I can tell, the platform is tailored toward firms, where one person spends all day sending generic proposals, and then passes off the work to someone else.

I can’t imagine this is good for the clients. If they would allow only a few proposals per project at a time, until they are reviewed and archived this would help weed out people who don’t really want to commit to their project, and give freelancers more visibility.

I have custom tailored each proposal, and for the price, it is hardly worth more than a generic copy and paste, I see so many others doing.

There is so much potential here but the service is designed fully around the client and offers no competitive edge to the freelancers, especially the new ones.

I don’t think others sites would be much better but really need any input on how to better identify projects with real potential.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths