🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » official government ID to verify your profile...
Page options
eugene_glazyrin
Community Member

official government ID to verify your profile information

> Your ID will never be shared with clients.

That's amazing, but what about sharing any data with my goverment?

Just to let you know, my goverment is a mafia, and all earnings can be confiscated by "law", due fine = income, and my taxes already high, because of you took 20%. I'm not living in Russia, but I dot'h have any other country passport. And I'm not going to pay any cent to support wars / to build more big thief palaces.

So. Are you going to share data with my goverment?

And. Is there are any chance this "option" will be required in future?

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Eugene G wrote:

I'm not living in Russia, but I dot'h have any other country passport.

Funny, on your profile you say that you do....

eugene.jpg

Your profile has to reflect the location where you live. You can use your Russian passport for ID verification, I used my German passport to verify my ID while not living in Germany. It is not a problem.

Usually you pay tax in your country of residence, not your country of birth.

The Upwork fee is not a tax.

astepanov83
Community Member

I think you don't fully understand how to legally work on Upwork and not to worry about taxes and fines. A lot of banks accept transfers from Upwork and it's easy to pass all the required legal procedures. I've done this hundred times or even more. There are fines if you're unable to pass these procedures. And yes, the fines can be up to %100 of the incoming amount. You will be fined if you fail to send documents to your bank during 15 working days. The documents are: a signed Confirmation of Services (takes 2 - 24 hours to sign) and your Transaction History (no need to sign, just print it). Another required legal documents are filled in by my bank automatically.

Regarding taxes: it's so easy to have all your bookkeeping stuff on one of several availble online services. Many of them have seamless integration with banks: when you receive money, your taxes are automatically updated and you pay them every quarter. 

It's also better to pay taxes from the money on your business bank account. In this case your bank will see you pay your taxes: they now are obliged to control their clients and block them if they suspect them in taxes avoiding or another illegal activity.

As Petra mentioned, Upwork fees are not taxes. Here is how many taxes I pay: 6% general tax, 1% pension fund (+ $500 fixed annual payment), around 2% of bank commission and the money is on my other personal (not business) bank account, VAT 1%-4% - the more you earn, the less VAT is (we paid it in 17th and 18th manually, and soon Upwork will deduct this tax automatically from our income). In total 10% for me.

Unless you earn millions of dollars, noone cares about your existence at all. I've seen Upwork profiles of freelancers from Russia who earn much much more than you. I don't think they all evade taxes or they are scared and tortured here.

You can find much more info in google. 

Ah but he claims not to live in Russia, that he has no intention of paying any taxes and chances are he is withdrawing money by means other than his bank account.

He seems to have left Russia because people are eaten alive here, and palaces are built on their bones. I not only tried to explain that it's not difficult to stay legal here, but so that others don't think we live in Mordor.

Thanks for your answer, even it wasn't cover my questions.

I'm not going to turn legal, until I choose country to pay taxes and be happy about that.

But my questions was a:

Are Upwork going to share data with my goverment?

And. Is there are any chance this "option" will be required in future?

Hi Eugene,

When Upwork receives a request from a government for information about a user or account, our team reviews the request to make sure it satisfies legal requirements and Upwork’s policies. Generally speaking, for Upwork to produce any data, the request must be made in writing, signed by an authorized official of the requesting agency and issued under an appropriate law. If we believe a request is overly broad, we'll seek to narrow it. To learn more about this check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths