hechtkristina

payment verification

What if somone new invited me to and interview tommorow morning but I found out their payment isnt verified?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
csjarmitage

Feel free to interview with them. Just don't begin any work until their payment method is verified.

Make sure that you're fully educated on how to protect yourself on Upwork:

• Never work without an active contract on your "My Jobs" page.
  • Never accept any sort of payment off the Upwork platform (no checks sent to you, no pay through PayPal, etc.)
  • Never agree to pay a "client" in order to work for them
  • Be aware that Google Hangouts interviews are high risk for scams

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
csjarmitage

Feel free to interview with them. Just don't begin any work until their payment method is verified.

Make sure that you're fully educated on how to protect yourself on Upwork:

• Never work without an active contract on your "My Jobs" page.
  • Never accept any sort of payment off the Upwork platform (no checks sent to you, no pay through PayPal, etc.)
  • Never agree to pay a "client" in order to work for them
  • Be aware that Google Hangouts interviews are high risk for scams

cupidmedia

In addition to Christy's excellent advice, you can see a great list of tips and warning signs in this thread: Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs. The post was written by Lena, an Upwork community moderator.

But regarding your specific question - if their payment method isn't verified, you can do the interview, just don't start work until it *is* verified. If they offer you an official job through Upwork that shows on your "my jobs" page, you can politely tell the client that you'll be happy to start work as soon as their payment method has been verified.

hechtkristina

Thank you