🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » privacy
Page options
536772aa
Community Member

privacy

I've sent some private document like my passport and my bank statement on a upwork chat....did i make an error?

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I've sent some private document like my passport and my bank statement on a upwork chat....did i make an error?"

Lorenzo:

Upwork itself asks for identity verification information, such as passports, drivers licenses, etc. This may include a bank statement.

Traditionally we do not refer to this as "Upwork chat."

There are specific tools and processes that Upwork provides for going through its identity verification processes.

If this is what you did, then DON'T WORRY.

I have personally undergone Upwork identity verification processes, including providing scans of my driver's license. I AM NOT WORRIED about any of that.

BUT:

If you were talking to a client or potential client, through the Upwork Messages tool...

Then you probably DID make a mistake. And the next thing you should do is tell us more about your experience so we can provide you with additional information and advice.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Lorenzo,

We recommend that clients and freelancers use caution when sharing any private information while discussing a job in Upwork Messages. Please, check this help article and Upwork Privacy Policy  for more information. Please, let us know if you have any further questions or need further assistance.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths