🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » proposal
Page options
dalia1984
Community Member

proposal

how long should I wait after I submitted a test of 2000 words and the client didn't get back to me to let me know I was accepted or not and the job is still open no one got hired.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

@Dalia G wrote:

how long should I wait after I submitted a test of 2000 words and the client didn't get back to me to let me know I was accepted or not and the job is still open no one got hired.

Why would the client get back to anyone when he convinced a bunch of freelancers to do the work for free?

2000 words is NOT a "test" - it's called "work" and clients who ask for free work are breaking the terms of service. Freelancers who do free work just encourage "clients" like that to get all their work done and never have to pay for any of it.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

@Dalia G wrote:

Why would the client get back to anyone when he convinced a bunch of freelancers to do the work for free?

2000 words is NOT a "test" - it's called "work" and clients who ask for free work are breaking the terms of service. Freelancers who do free work just encourage "clients" like that to get all their work done and never have to pay for any of it.

Thanks for replying
As I said I am new to Upwork she said it's a 25000 word document
What can I do about this or should I forget about this job
Thanks

@Dalia G wrote:
Thanks for replying
As I said I am new to Upwork she said it's a 25000 word document

Well, she only needs to have 13 people do 2000 words each, and the client got (a very messy) translation for absolutely nothing, right? How many people does it show as "interviewing" on the job post?

*NO* client needs 2000 words to judge a translator's quality.  Where it is appropriate (and it rarely is, and never allowed for a client to ask) - 200 words are enough.  And even then a client may not ask for 200 words for free, they can hire and PAY for test translations.

@Dalia G wrote:

What can I do about this or should I forget about this job

You can click on the "Flag as inappropriate" button on the job post and choose "client is asking for free work" and then write in the comments that client is asking for 2000 word "tests"

It shows 10 are being interviewed
Ok I will click the red flag

what happens after i click red flag 

is the client notified and any similar resolved cases 

any actions taken against these clients

@Dalia G wrote:

what happens after i click red flag 

is the client notified and any similar resolved cases 

any actions taken against these clients

I think if a client is flagged often enough for ToS violations, upwork will take some measure against them. Until or if that happens, it is up to us freelancers to not let dishonest clients get away with this kind of behaviour. 

Upwork removed the job from its market place

Hi

Unfortunately the job was not removed from the market place as it will be still be on under a different bogus client. You cannot see this of course when you are looking at the job posting. They set up multiple accounts and spread the same job over all of these.

I have found that flagging is of no use because by the time these have been removed, the 'client' has received all of his free work and will be then using the next bogus account to reap in the rest.

Once the posts have been removed  you can no longer see that they ever existed.

It is a fail safe scam and the only thing that can stop it, is to not supply the tests.

There are many of these posts online currently.

It would be great if the MO of this long running scam could be given out to the freelancers so that they understand what is actually happening but this is not going to happen.

They are very easy to spot if you are aware but many freelancers do not use the forum. 

regards Jan

Mostly on upwork people gets their work done for free in the form of demo.

I think upwork should think on it

Amir K wrote:

Mostly on upwork people gets their work done for free in the form of demo.

I think upwork should think on it

There is a solution already in place. What you do is:

1. flag the job for "asking for free work."

2. don't do the free work. 

That info should be included in Upwork's welcome, or rules document.

New freelancers do not always know what exactly is considered as a free work in here. 

I've been smart so far, and only given a very short 3-4 lines sample conversion, not all columns been transferred.  

Thank you, for your guidance. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths