🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: "Contracts"
Page options
a1244dc7
Community Member

"Contracts"

How does the "contracts" portion work? I was hired for a proofreading job, and their post was removed because of the position being filled, but I do not see anything in my "contracts"

9 REPLIES 9
pgiambalvo
Community Member

If you can't see it, then you do not have a contract with them. The post was removed and the client's contracts as well because Upwork probably discovered it was a scam. The post would not have been removed  just becaus they hired someone. And please be very aware that almost all proofreading jobs are scams.

Thank you for your response. I have definitely been scammed. Now I know what to look out for. This would have been my first proofreading gig, so I better be careful moving forward. Their interview process seemed so legit that I guess I let my guard down due to the excitement of the chance of a job. I know better now. 😬

luqman_mak
Community Member

and if you havent read an article on how to spot scam, this might help;
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Thank you. I wish I would have read that before all of this. I'm now in the process of freezing everything and trying to dispute it with my bank. This sucks. Thanks for your help.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

If the client lured you onto Telegram or WhatsApp and told you that you were hired, that's a scam. If you're hired on Upwork, you'll get a notification that you've been hired, then you need to accept the contract. Any other type of contract that a client sends you via other methods is worthless, since there will be no way for you or Upwork to enforce it (scammers don't really work for the companies that they claim to represent - anyone can stick a logo on top of a piece of paper).

They lured me onto Skype for the interview process, then had me fill out the assessment questionnaire. Then I was told to check back in an hour for the status of my interview, and before the hour was up, I was told that I was hired. They sent me a job offer letter, had me sign it and then sent a procurement check to purchase the equipment (computer, printer, malware, & company software) from their local vendor. Then I was told to use Zelle's payment service to purchase the equipment. When I did I had issues, so I contacted my bank and they notified me that the check was fictitious. So I am now trying to dig myself out of this hole I fell in. It is very upsetting and now I know just how careful I have to be working online like this. Throughout my training, I was taught how to spot the scammers and this one didn't 'feel' that way to me. I let my guard down because I thought it was a good opportunity. 

I'm sorry, but how did this happen? You asked about this a week ago and three different people, including me, told you that you were being scammed. What made you go ahead anyway?

Please understand that even if the cheque had been real, Upwork would have banned your account for accepting payments off of the website. Clients don't buy office equipment for freelancers - we're supposed to already have whatever we need to carry out our work.

a1244dc7
Community Member

I understand this was my fault for not being more cautious. I let my excitement get the best of me. I am new to this, and I jumped in too soon. I wasn't fully prepared and educated on what scams were out there. Again, completely my fault. I should have waited until I received the replies to my question before proceeding. 

The important thing is to learn from your mistakes. You'll need to work on your profile if you hope to find real clients; right now, it's all about you and what you want, whereas it ought to be client-focussed. Put more samples into your portfolio as well.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths